Sudden transmission accident

This can't be a good thing but tonight I was comming down a hill in L2, when I hit the even pavement I went to shift into D, I instead went directly to R. I hit the brakes, car stoped and engine died.<P>At this point I freaked for obvious reasons. I was able to start the engine back up w/o problems and since it was after 1am I went through the gears on the street, all seemed to work. I then pulled into a gas station and went through all the gears, all was okay.<P>My panic question here is, could there be any damage?? What should I look for tomorrow??<P>I know everyone says these engines & transmissions are bulletproof, but idiot proof?<P>Many Thanks!<P>-Scott<BR>(a worried skylark owner)

Don't feel bad--I did the exact same thing once in my '72 Centurian with a 455/T400. Only I actually gassed it a bit before realizing what I'd done.<BR>There didn't seem to be any damage.<BR>Did the same thing in a Dodge Neon, too. Boy, you could actually hear the car scream before the engine died. It ran fine, too ('course that was a rental, so I was only concerned about getting it back alive).<BR>When I was in high school, a lot of kids did "Reverse Drops", and I don't ever remember a trans grenading before the first two dozen or so.<BR>I know what you did can't be good, but I doubt you did any real damage.<BR>-Brad

They have an actual name for such things? Geezz.. Thanks for the reply, gives me back my confidence in her. I wouldn't have known what I did unless I noticed my hand going to far, the engine just kindly died, headlights on, radio going, me into instant panic mode.<P>I no offence to any Dodge owners here, but I have never liked the cheap dodge cars, I mean what other car company puts out two identical cars under different names. shesh.<P>You gassed it too, wow. These older cars must be bullet and idiot proof. :-)<P>Thanks Brad!<P>-Scott

They designed some hydralic fail-safes into the transmission. I havn't tested them (knock on wood) but I bet that your trans is fine for now.