Interior cleaning

Moms49

Suggestions for cleaning woodgrain-look interior of Plymouth that has been in garage for 50+ years.  The dash and interior doors have a sticky-ish dirty look and feel.  I've tried diluted Dawn with a soft cloth and it is taking dirt and the woodgrain look both off.  

I had this issue with the garnish molding on our '36 Dodge RS coupe, What I did was remove the interior moldings and alternated a combination of #800 grit sandpaper and Flitz polish to remove the 80+ years of accumulated grime, oxidation etc.  This is a slow and delicate process; be prepared to spend hours VERY GENTLY sanding, polishing and repeating, looking carefully at your progress to determine when you have gone far enough. I was able to rescue the original woodgraining on our coupe using this approach. It is now as it would appear in a fairly well used original with the door window garnishes showing significant arm wear but that would be normal. I decided not to attempt to replicate the original as I have not been satisfied that it could be done to match what was done at the factory. So I'll accept the wear and imperfections in the original. 

Good luck.