1928 Master, front axle questions, part needed

pepcak

Hello, worked today on the front axle of my 1928 Master Six and came to few issues

1) I am missing two sheet metal parts that assembly under ball joint of the front brake lever. I do have the outer part ("pocket" for ball),  I also do have hardened cup supporting the ball from inside and I also have the spring that fits between the cup and the missing sheet metal part. I know this part is NOT just flat piece of the steel, it is 3D shaped to match the outer part (pocket). Anybody here has at least one (ideally two) piece he/she can part with?

2) I am also missing the cup that covers top of king pin; I have acquired  two of them some time ago, but it turned out one of them is of a smaller diameter (possibly from Standard Six  and does not fit. The one that fits, is approx 1 5/8 OD.

3)  Next question is about drag link, I have one that was on the car, with all internal springs, cups, plugs etc that appear correct. The link / rod itself is just straight and I would normally expect a bump to allow wheel turning when cornering.  Does anybody here have an extra drag link to fit 1928 Master?

Thanks for any help / leads.

Josef in Prague, Czech Republic

image.jpeg

20220619_180142.jpg

20220619_194715.jpg

Hi Josef

I have an extra cap for the king pin.

I disassembled the ball joint on my 1925 Master (which has a 1928 front axle) and it does not have another piece inside behind the hardened cup.  It is missing the spring.   The 1924 Master parts book does not list any more parts for this ball joint, and I believe this design remained unchanged for 1928.  

Kevin 

axle components.jpg

plate 35.jpg

brake yoke components.jpg

Edited by Oregon Desert model 45
edit (see edit history)

I took a pic from my 1928 Master Six parts list and seems the design really changed, they added a bottom bracket #206996. I think it is not really important piece as probably the only purpose of it is to keep the whole assembly in one piece when disassembled from a car. Worst case I can try to duplicate it. What would be more important for me is the king pin cap 169281, do you happen to have one extra? Plus, the drag link # 204283 if anybody has an extra.

Thank you.

drag_link.JPG

bracket.JPG

Hi Kevin,

I have gone once more through the heaps of junk I have accumulated over years and found the second correct size cap. No luck with the inner ball joint brackets though, I am going to make them.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Josef

• 1 month later...

Hello,

still looking for

1) drag link #204283 (shown above)

2) brake universal yoke shaft (LH) # 209131.

3) Also two grease nipples with extended base (shown on the left side) would become handy.

4) Last but not least, straight axle beam would help too.......

Thanks for any help / leads.

Josef

20220710_170019.jpg

20220807_213811.jpg

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

HI Kevin, thanks for your response. If nothing else, seems the 1928 added a grease nipple to the yoke. The grease nipple should protrude approximately opposite direction (180 deg) of the brake lever. One of mine has the nipple in  approx 90deg to the lever and thus it cannot be accessed due to shock absorber strap. But for now I will stay with what I have. Any chance for .spare solid "I" beam, mine seems to be bent so that I have difficulty to assemble LH brake yoke.

• 2 weeks later...