Rear End Clunk

Bob Shafto

Every time I make a left turn in my '36 Pontiac, I hear a distinct "clunk" noise that appears to come from the left rear corner of the car. Otherwise, it drives and rides fine. Any suggestions for what I might look for as the source of the noise?

• Like 1

Hi Bob, Good to see you in here. You don't know me, but when I was a new 1936 Pontiac owner I read the document you and Andy Lee published and everything you wrote online about your 1936 Master Cabriolet restoration and about your 1936 Master coupe. It is the most extensive 1936 Pontiac information out there by far, and it is a pity that a lot of the pictures are no longer up. All of that was a huge help getting my 1936 Master sedan sorted out. I suspect you know a lot more about these cars than I do, but I'll try.

My best guess it it's the front shackle bushing on the rear spring. It's an ungreaseable thing probably made out of rubber. Mine need replacing too, as one of them squeaks. I don't think there would be anything to stop the side of the spring eye contacting the hanger once the rubber let go. I don't know if the part is currently available. Reproduction bushings are made for Chevrolets for sure, and I think they will fit, but I have not had an opportunity to try it.

I guess the greaseable bushings at the back of the rear spring could also be bad. On my car some of them were stuck, but all that was needed was to disassemble and clean them so they would take grease. I had to make a couple of the washers for the end. I used leather, but the originals may have been dense felt. It was hard to tell.

If it isn't a shackle bushing, I guess I might try loosening up the rear brake and seeing if there is too much axle endplay, as set by that rectangular piece at the center of the differential.

Good luck and I hope you find it.

Thanks Boo, that will get me started on the cure. Glad the restoration information was helpful. I figured if I didn't write that stuff down it will be very hard for future owners of these cars to keep them running.

• Like 2