How to fix the vinyl woodtone applique on 80's GM full size cars

Reatta Man

If you have a mid 80's full-size GM car that uses the wood applique on top of the door panels and you live in a warm or sunny climate, your panels probably look like mine--cracked and weathered.

What to do? Simple. Find a company that sells Avery Dennison vinyl lettering supplies. This is the same company that makes a gazillion labels for office use, but the vinyl products come out of a different division. They supply much of the OEM wood-looking vinyl for new car makers.

Ask the supplier if they carry or can get the Avery printed film vinyl in the "Bravo Burl" or "Cheyenne Teak" pattern. The style number is A2845-S for Bravo Burl and A2848-S for the Teak. I paid $2.50 per foot, and it is 15" wide. It is about a 97-99% perfect match to the burlwood on my '84 98. The Teak should come close to matching the woodtone vinyl used on other GM full size cars such as the Buick Electra and Lesabre.

If you can't find it locally, you can order it from Regal Plastics here in San Antonio. They also have offices in Dallas, Austin, Houston and Ft. Worth. Their web site is www.regal-plastics.com

Just as a heads up, I almost bought some of this stuff from a guy on ebay selling it for about $8.50 per foot.

Good luck!

Joe