70 Olds Cutlass Paint

I'm trying to find the correct color paint for my 70 Cutlass. The original body tag on the cowl denotes a "B" under the paint code. The paint supply stores are asking me for a two digit code. The color is a medium green metalic. Can anyone tell me what the "B" means? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Beside the PNT code on the cowl tag, there should be two 2-digit numbers or a 2-digit number and a letter. The first set of numbers is the lower body color. The second set or letter is the upper body color, or vinyl or convertible top color. B codes to a Black convertible or vinyl top.

If it's a medium metallic green, that sounds like code 45 Aspen Green. Code 48 was Sherwood Green which was dark.

Occasionally you'll see XX or -- in the paint code. That codes as special order non-standard color paint.

Thanks Glenn,

The 1st line of the cowl tag is ST7034267LAN249214

2nd line is TR992 (At far left) BDY (At far right)

3rd line 10A (At far left) - B (At far right)

There is a dash before the "B" on the third line and the car is a Black Top Convertible.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 1st line of the cowl tag is ST7034267LAN249214

2nd line is TR992 (At far left) BDY (At far right)

3rd line 10A (At far left) - B (At far right)

There is a dash before the "B" on the third line and the car is a Black Top Convertible.</div></div>

70= 1970 model year

3= Oldsmobile Division

42= Cutlass Supreme

67= GM-speak for convertible

LAN= Lansing car assembly

249214= Fisher body job number (this doesn't always match the VIN)

992= green vinyl notchback bench seat interior

10A= built 1st week of October 1969

- = a special non-standard paint code, possibly from another GM division or carline

B= black convertible top

Toronado had an exclusive color called Ming Jade, code 46, and some of the other Divisions had their own medium metallic greens too.

It'll be on the build sheet if you can find it.

Glenn,

I think your right about the Ming Jade #46. That looks the closest when looking at color charts from PPG, etc. The note on the chart that it was a specific Toronado color was confusing the issue.

One last question. I did find a color formula in the paperwork that came with the car. The handwritten note says "Green Irid, 2203".It was repainted in lacquer in 1988 and the each line of the formula begins with TE followed by a 2 digit number then a 3 digit number (TE-01-100), there are 8 lines of info. I've checked with a few paint shops in my area and they don't know what manufacturer the "TE" is associated with, (PPG, RM, etc). Any ideas? I just need to do some spot touch up here and there. Thanks for you help.