FS 1939 DeSoto S-6 Deluxe Business Coupe

Contact me at nvonada -at- vonadatech.com or call/text at seven-four-zero 815-4681  

This 1939 DeSoto S6 Deluxe Coupe was purchased (I was told new) by my great-grandfather.  In 1963 he gave it to my father (19 at the time)  Dad decided to "improve" it by putting in an overdrive transmission.  Then he found out the floorboards would not fit over the new tranny and the shift mechanism only worked in first and reverse.  Then he went off to school and the military and never got back to it.  The car was stored indoors ever since with a trunk full of parts including all the original drivetrain components.  The engine had oil squirted in the cylinders and was turned over every year (that was my job as a kid).  Three years ago, I offered to help get the car running again.  New plugs, wires, and points and the car fired right up.  But the water pump and core plugs leaked like crazy.  So, we bought a bunch of parts and tore into the engine.  Then we found the infamous water distribution tube had become one with the engine block.  We had just got the bits of the old tube worked out of the block when my father passed away.  Nothing has been done on it since.  So, the engine cooling system is still torn down, but all the parts (new and old) are in the car. 

The car is all original except for the overdrive transmission.  The original transmission, driveshaft, and floor panels are all in the trunk.  The car has VERY little rust , some in back of the rear fenders and some behind the doors above the running boards.  Trunk, doors, door frames, and underneath the car are all remarkably solid.  There are several dents on the fenders.  Bumpers and chrome are all there, but the chrome is a mess. All four hubcaps are there. The car had a new fuel tank installed in 1963 that looks like new.   Windows all work, driver's window is cracked as is the vent window.  All rubber is very old and tired.  Original radio is in the trunk.  One headlight and one taillight are broken, there is a new headlight lens (yep, in the trunk).  Interior is intact and original but very dirty.  Dash plastic is very brittle.  Wiring is a mess, but the car cranked and started, and the ammeter and oil pressure worked.  Not sure about the other gauges. Odometer shows 17k miles, which has to be 117k.. There is a heater under the dash that may be aftermarket, I don't know enough to tell.  Several assorted parts and two extra wheels are in the trunk (it is a really big trunk).   Tires hold air enough to move the car around.  No brakes.  A PDF of the service manual also included.  Clean Ohio title.  Located in Xenia, Ohio, asking $4300 OBO

More pictures plus a video of the engine running at  https://photos.app.goo.gl/1zVGqHTa4QE8ZyXF9IMG_6551_1.jpg.3efc6f0ab661852a2fbf24f2e78905a8.jpg

IMG_6529_1.jpg

IMG_6535_1.jpg

IMG_6537_1.jpg

IMG_6542_1.jpg

IMG_6545_1.jpg

IMG_6547_1.jpg

IMG_6549_1.jpg

IMG_6562_1.jpg

IMG_6564_1.jpg

IMG_6570_1.jpg

IMG_6577_1.jpg

IMG_6580_1.jpg