Steering wheel adjuster

rocken

Working on a 57 T Bird. The steering wheel adjuster collar has a small set screw that I assume is supposed to tighten to something in the column. The screw is frozen, and will not turn despite being soaked with PB Blaster for two days. The collar just turns and goes up and down the column, but the wheel does not move in or out. I tried to drill the screw in hopes of using an easy out or just retaping to a different size, but it must be a hardened screw as the drill bit won't even touch it. What is the correct way to remove the collar so I can take it to my machinist friend and have him remove the screw? Thanks for any insight!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Check out this link: 1955/56/57 Thunderbird Steering column repair | Classic Thunderbird Club International (ctci.org)

It will explain to a large extent how the steering wheel adjuster works. As for your specific question, the screw on the adjuster collar is to limit the loosening of the collar that it does not come loose from the collar. What do you want to do that requires the removal of the collar? Just be aware that you don't need to remove it to remove either the steering wheel or the steering column.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

Hi Lew, Guess I'm not sure how it is supposed to work. It turns quite a bit in and out or forward and back, probably not explaining correctly.  Turns a lot, but I was expecting the wheel to move forward or back. Found out today that you are supposed to push or pull the wheel, guess I'm not smart enough to figure that one out, however the wheel is off now to give me a little more room to get under the dash, so once it is back on, I'll try again.

By the way, I did get the trunk open. Seems whoever installed the latch assembly on the lid dropped a washer and left it and it worked its way in there and prevented things from working as they should. Works good now!

Thanks for all your help!

Ken

Hi Ken,

Are you rewiring your car or replacing the firewall cover? I just did those repairs on my car and can give advice on doing the repairs if you need a second opinion.

Good news about your trunk. A whole lot easier than having to get in through the back seat.

Lew