Identify the car in this photo in UK about 1906

wetcoast

Can you help me identify the car in this picture of my great-grandparents? The photo is from around their wedding in Surrey, England in 1906.

I believe the car might be a 1902 CLÉMENT TWIN-CYLINDER 9HP FOUR-SEATER REAR-ENTRANCE TONNEAU based on the photos that I saw at https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/16254/lot/301/ but the fenders don't exactly match, so I'm uncertain. The fenders are much closer to the 2 seater model of the Clément that I saw at https://www.prewarcar.com/372476-1902-cle-ment-type-b-voiturette though, so perhaps there were options or differences in other nearby years of this make/model.

The license on this car is P-2130 I believe. I was also wondering if there is any way to look up the ownership history of vintage plates like this. The "P" indicates that it was registered in Surrey, England.

IMG_7749.jpg

It is indeed a Gladiator. This coal scuttle type of bonnet was used between 1901 and 1903. There were three models, a 6hp, 10hp and 12hp, which seem to have had 5.5, 7.5 and 8.5 louvres on the bonnet side respectively. However the photo captions weren't always consistent, so the number of louvres does not always match with the mentioned horse power. 

The first car with the Surrey registration therefore must be a 10hp model of 1902 or 1903. The Surrey registration started only in December 1903, so cannot be used for dating. The second car is without doubt a 6hp model, made between 1901 and 1903.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ariejan NL said:

It is indeed a Gladiator. This coal scuttle type of bonnet was used between 1901 and 1903. There were three models, a 6hp, 10hp and 12hp, which seem to have had 5.5, 7.5 and 8.5 louvres on the bonnet side respectively. However the photo captions weren't always consistent, so the number of louvres does not always match with the mentioned horse power. 

The first car with the Surrey registration therefore must be a 10hp model of 1902 or 1903. The Surrey registration started only in December 1903, so cannot be used for dating. The second car is without doubt a 6hp model, made between 1901 and 1903.

This is good as it confirms what I thought it was; I didn't know about the different models and how many they made in that period.