Engine specs on 1985 5.0 V8 Delta 88, and carburetor question

I have a 1985 Delta 88 Broughm with the 5.0 V8. The horsepower and torque of this car is nowhere to be found. Anyone know?

Also, the 4 barrell carb has been acting up lately, and I want to replace it with something nice so I can beef it up a bit. Any recommendations? Thanks,

Brett

My Chilton's Manual indicates the VIN "Y" which is the 305 (5.0L)Olds engine was rated 148 hp @ 3800rpm and 250lbs ft of torque @ 2400rpm. Compression ratio is 8.0:1 for 1985. That engine was a "corporate" engine used in Buicks also. My '85 Buick had one in it. It was still running fine at over 140,000 miles on the clock, but I decided to a more powerful engine. By no means a power house, the 307 will give you lots of service. Generally, these engines were mated to 200 Metric transmissions that allowed them to operate in lower rpm ranges which has a lot to do with their long lives. However, if you're thinking about going to a more powerful engine, you can drop in a 350 or 403 Olds making little or no modifications to the other equipment. I replaced my 307 with a 403 and now a 455.

As far as increasing HP in that engine, there's not a whole lot you can do, their heads are pretty restrictive. Depending on how handy you are, rebuilding a Q-jet isn't that hard.....but everytime I tried it, well...... Edelbrock makes a Q-jet replacement for 85 model cars and trucks in 795 cfm. It's a bit pricey at $456.99 (Jegs) but I used one on my truck and have been very happy with it. Edelbrock also makes a Performer series that's bit more reasonable at around $220. These are square bore carbs that run 500 cfm that means all four barrels are the same diameter. The Q-Jet is spread bore carb which means the primaries are small in diameter with huge secondaries, most performance guys seem to prefer them. I've been using a Performer (600 cfm) on my 455 and like it. It's very simple to install and adjust.

Hello this is my 1st post , so I hope to make an impression!

The 307 is deemed a toss away motor by most. I have been toying with the small block Olds motors for some time now. I happen to have a decent little combo to make some more power out of the 307. First I get rid of the computer Carb, HEI and the computer. Then I upgrade it to at least a 307 9 code cam spec. I believe the rated lift is somewhere around .440"/.440" dont have the specs in front of me, but I think you get the idea going from a .380"/.380" lift to the 9 code cam. You'll need to get the matching springs and lifters ofcourse. I pull the heads and have them rebuilt, but you can step up to a set of 6 or 7/7a heads (not the 7A 307heads) from an early 350, cleaned up and bigger valves from factory, gringd out the EGR bumps and just a gasket match work wonders. Edelbrock RPM Performer intake, and a good Q-jet with a good HEI. I install the cams at 4* advanced to gain a bit more bottom end torque. While in the cam changing phsae would be a good idea to put on a new timing chain set. Also an upgraded converter with about 2600-3000 stall makes a world of difference on the 307's. Finally if your car has a th200-4r tranny, then I would step up a 342 or 373 rear gear to take advantage of the cam and stall converter changes. That will wake up the 307 a bit. If it is not what you are looking for, then a 350 or 403 will be a direct swap over, just keep all the 307 pulleys for the swap to it easy and less stressful.

Good luck!