can anyone help me identifying these cars? Thanks in advance

JoséH

Those are charabancs. They were popular in Britain and Europe particularly in the 1920s. They were usually used for day trips to the seaside in the UK. There are lots of pics on the net.

The upper one here looks as if it is taking a tour group to Lourdes. I am not sure of the make but I think it might be a Citroen. There is probably an engine of less than three litres being asked to do all of that work.

The other one is German, and looks to be on a larger chassis - possibly a WW1 surplus truck.   The sign says 'round trip through...'. Solid tyres so a 12 mph speed limit in most places I think.

Members of the Auckland Branch of the Vintage Car Club of New Zealand built this charabanc on the remains of a 1914 Renault truck chassis in the late 1960s. It still appears regularly at club events - at 15 mph.

Two shots, from not long after it was put on the road and from more recently. Oddly enough these two photos illustrate what I think is a worldwide phenomenon - aging membership of old car clubs - 

14 Akl VCC Renault 70s.jpg

14 Ranault chara Waiuku Sath Flkr.jpg

17 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Those are charabancs. They were popular in Britain and Europe particularly in the 1920s. They were usually used for day trips to the seaside in the UK. There are lots of pics on the net.

The upper one here looks as if it is taking a tour group to Lourdes. I am not sure of the make but I think it might be a Citroen. There is probably an engine of less than three litres being asked to do all of that work.

The other one is German, and looks to be on a larger chassis - possibly a WW1 surplus truck.   The sign says 'round trip through...'. Solid tyres so a 12 mph speed limit in most places I think.

Thanks a lot. But I don't think it is a Citroen. Berliet may be? 

It's probably worth posting the Lourdes photo on a French car forum and the Koln photo on a German car forum. 

Both photos look early 20s to me but the Koln photo could be a repurposed WW1 truck.

4 hours ago, Andrew46Coupe said:

It's probably worth posting the Lourdes photo on a French car forum and the Koln photo on a German car forum. 

Both photos look early 20s to me but the Koln photo could be a repurposed WW1 truck.

Do you know any French and German car forums?

prewarcar.com/ is your best bet to post the question.  It reaches a world-wide audience and has a European focus.

Terry

• 4 months later...