Looking for info 32 Pontiac series 402

68tinindian

My dad passed a little over a year ago. He had a 32 Pontiac series 402 convertible. I’m looking for any information about this car and am wondering if it’s on some sort of registry to find out the history. Also wondering what can be done about the title. The serial number on the title is actually the fisher body number 32318. I found the serial stamped on the left front frame rail 734757-P6. Any and all help is very much appreciated. 

90739EA0-F3AD-4317-8EEA-4D196F6DF278.jpeg

68tinindian,

You have a beautiful example of a Series 402, Model 32318.  Some books call it a Cabriolet and some call it a Convertible Coupe.  I like the Convertible Coupe name because it has roll up windows like a coupe but convertible top.  Answering your specific questions and some of my input:

1)  This is an early car.  Serial numbers go from 729001-763983 so your car of number 734757 puts it about 16% of total production.  So  I would guess it was made in Jan or Feb of '32.  You can get a sense of this by looking at some of the casting dates on major components.  Check the heads and they should have a date on them along with the part number.

2)  It looks like you are in Pennsylvania and I don't know what their rules are for changing VIN numbers.  I had a similar problem with my  '30 Pontiac.  They used the engine number as the VIN.  I wanted to change to the serial number on there frame in case I ever had to replace the engine.  I had to get a peace officer to look at the numbers sign a form documenting  the change.  I hope it is not a huge problem in your state.  So first step would be to contact your state DMV.

3)  I do keep a registry of '32 Pontiacs which now number about 75.  I say about because I do not have serial numbers for all cars and think I have some duplicates.  My guess of the number of running cars (go into garage and be assured it will start and drive) is probably in the neighborhood of 30.

4) I checked my registry and I do show an unknown car in PA.  This information was given to me by people out your way.  They knew of a convertible coupe but did not know the owners name.  So yours might be that unknown car.  Did your dad belong to any of the clubs that specialized in Pontiac/Oaklands?  We could talk about this offline.

5) I maintain a website:

www.pontiacsplithead.com

This site has lots of information that can help you get started with knowing about your car.  It has:

- Operator Manual

- Service News

- Service Manual (incomplete but I upload information frequently and should have everything up by the end of the year)

- Dealer Brochure (color)

- Very detailed dealer sales specifications and comparisons to other cars

- Marvel Carburetor information

Just click on the Reference menu and enjoy.

I would like to get your contact information so we can chat about your car.  You can send to me at:

splithead6fan@gmail.com

I am the Technical Advisor for 1930 and 1932 Pontiacs for the Pontiac Oakland Club

Good luck on that great car.

Rob

• Thanks 1

Thank you for responding Rob. I was hoping you would, I’ve been going through some of the older topics and have seen that you’re a fountain of knowledge on these cars. I sent you an email and look forward to your input.