Sorting 425 KW back into my 64

Deanoko

Hi all, 

When I purchased this one owner, special order car last year I soon discovered that it had an LT code 65 401 under the hood.  I've sourced a nice builder KW 425 to replace it.  Now I discover that the current Rochester 4gc is there because they swapped in the switch pitch 65 trans as well.  Why I don't know. 

I'd prefer to just swap the carb over to the 425 and leave the tranny the way it is.  I know it doesn't have the D21 center console but it seems to work just fine and it's not like I'm going to be driving around in low 2.  This is not a show car but it is in VERY nice shape and highly optioned.

Soliciting opinions.  

Also, when the 425 goes in, the 65 401 (Strong running, no issues) will be looking for a new home.

Apparently the 65 ST400 has been working with the 64 console/shifter so why change it.  Use the 65 4GC with the 65  kick down/switch pitch linkages and brackets; it will work fine.  If the 65 trans works like the 64, you can start out in L, shift into D and as soon as the transmission shifts, pull the lever back into L. The transmission will stay in 2nd gear until you manually shift it into D.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When you mentioned that your car doesn’t have the D2L console, were you referring to the shifter or the complete console?  If you still have the 64 console, a 65 shift lever won’t work in it. The total length of the consoles are the same but the space for the shifter mechanism for the 65 is bigger because of the longer throw required for the extra gear.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)