1963 dodge 727 trans fluid.

People used to do that when they put in a shift kit. If it is shift kitted, and you like abrupt shifting, it helps a little. Type F is a lot closer to just plain oil than any of the others. Spool valves work better in more modern transmission fluids, but 727s are so robust they don't seem to care, and you can do whatever.

More important in my opinion is to drain ALL the fluid, torque converter too, and adjust the bands to factory spec, or maybe set them to whatever the shift kit said to set them to if that was different. Fluids have changed in recent years, and now there are a bunch of kinds. I would probably try to find something current in a good brand that is backward compatible to Dexron II. Type F will work though if you want. I have seen it.

• Like 1

I will most likely go with DEX II then.  It is a parts chaser car I use for 20 mile runs around town and back but whomever rebuilt the trans did install a shift kit. Right now it is on the lift with most of the trans fluid on the floor for some reason. This just popped up after a drive when it started slipping.  I mean like most of it. No clue where it came from. No hole in the pan and wondering if it is from the speedo cable area after a quick look. That is this weekends job.

• Like 1

Well... depending on how deep you wanna go.....

Shift shaft seals are often bad but you probably have to take the valve body out. Look for leaking cooler lines, especially where that little bracket ties them to the bellhousing. Sometimes they wear through. They can squirt a bunch of fluid out in a hurry. Be sure to check the band adjustments no matter what though if you are changing fluid. That matters.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bloo said:

Well... depending on how deep you wanna go.....

Shift shaft seals are often bad but you probably have to take the valve body out. Look for leaking cooler lines, especially where that little bracket ties them to the bellhousing. Sometimes they wear through. They can squirt a bunch of fluid out in a hurry. Be sure to check the band adjustments no matter what though if you are changing fluid. That matters.

I know it has to be something low and major because this puppy bleed out just sitting there not running over a few days