Mid fities Spec/Cent stuff

2carb40

On 12/4/2021 at 8:18 PM, Rusty Heaps said:

My birthday is coming up soon, you could send me that transmission!πŸ˜‡ good scores!

Last I knew you had a Spec without a replacement engine? This transmission only fits a 54-55-56. Wasn't yours a 53? If you remember I offered a nice 264 shortblock for free if you wanted to drive here to get it, the offer still stands and even tho my red suit has some grease stains on the white trim, it should be presentable enuff when ya pickup free stuff! Keep a sense of humor, it's free and therapeutic! How bout an update on 52-53s? Happy Holidays!

On 12/4/2021 at 8:18 PM, Rusty Heaps said:

My birthday is coming up soon, you could send me that transmission!πŸ˜‡ good scores!

You don't have a correct rear cover for the 1941 shortwave radio I just got layn' round do ya? You could do a Secret Santa thing there! Just like at the office! Lol!

19 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

You don't have a correct rear cover for the 1941 shortwave radio I just got layn' round do ya? You could do a Secret Santa thing there! Just like at the office! Lol!

Sorry, I don’t. I think those are made of Unobtanium. Also, I was under the impression that the 6 bolt transmission up to β€˜56 was an upgrade for the 5 bolt transmission of the early β€˜50s vintage, I guess that applies only to them through β€˜53? Good to know before I should run across one in a junkyard. Apparently I should still grab one from the mid β€˜50s if I can as they are desirable.

1 hour ago, Rusty Heaps said:

Sorry, I don’t. I think those are made of Unobtanium. Also, I was under the impression that the 6 bolt transmission up to β€˜56 was an upgrade for the 5 bolt transmission of the early β€˜50s vintage, I guess that applies only to them through β€˜53? Good to know before I should run across one in a junkyard. Apparently I should still grab one from the mid β€˜50s if I can as they are desirable.

Yes, rescue them when found! Anything can be made to fit something else, but if I change/upgrade parts I try to use the KISS principle, keep it simple senior!Β  The Buicks 54&55 that had a V8 264" stick(Spec) used a transmission made the same length as Century.Β  I've found that although Buick exercised modularity in the main cases of transmissions often from year to year. They varied the length of the cast tail housing and main shaft to accommodate different total lengths of car models, even in same years in some cases. Not just standard trans, Dynaflow as well. I've been told that after a certain point, Buick merely accomdate some of the customers who didn't trust the then new dynaflows by continuing to offer a standard trans option, 1/2-1% of sales! According to part numbers,at least with some, the torque ball is different part numbered and sized from some small series cars to large. Not many are obstinate enuff to decide to modify Buicks with Buick parts not engineered to fit in the first place! Paying someone by the hour at today's quotes for hourly charges certainly won't work for most. Now at least 125.00/hr locally. I got a 56 dyna fitted to my 55 Century, but I lost a lotta religion and time gettin'er dun! Said the mighty backyard shade tree mechanic. Happy Holidays and good luck!