Removal of lever shocks- 1937 Pontiac

straight8pontiac

I am in the process of beginning a winter project which is the removal and rebuilding of the lever shocks on my 1937 Pontiac. I have followed the shop manual to begin by removing the upper pivot pin which included removing the rear bushing, front bushing, and then the pivot pin. I have tied back the steering knuckle support and am now ready to remove the lever shock.

Next the shop manual simply says to remove the four attaching bolts of the shock absorbers. Placing a socket on the bolts, I tried removing them. Three of the four are easily accessed but I could not remove them. They simply kept turning. I looked up into the center of the coil spring and saw 2 nuts which I will have to hold in order to remove the bolts.

My question- I cannot see the other 2 nuts. It does not appear that these are studs because they simply kept turning with no removal. I did use a penatrating liquid so as not to shear a stud/bolt. What am I missing?? Where are the nuts which are holding the bolts?? Does anyone have other information which I am not aware of??

Looking forward to a solution- thanks for your help- Dave

Problem solved- front frame cross member has a large centered hole in which I put my arm up to the elbow and reached to each side where the shock absorber is fastened. Working almost blindly, using a socket to hold the nut on the bottom and my wife wrenching on the bolt head from the engine compartment, we were able to remove the nuts. Very difficult and tedious with no extra room to work at all.