Alvis, Pre war, Speed Models, TA-14, TA-21 and Newer ......Check in here

Posted (edited)

I am checking the pulse of the Brit Car enthusiasts on the west side of the pond and wondering if anyone reading here has heard of or seen any Alvis projects hiding that may soon be available or new purchased?

Al 

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Why yes. The TA-21 LHD you and I discussed on this forum a while back is in the process of becoming mine, as my uncle recently passed. It’s been in a garage but hasn’t seen much use lately and three of the brakes are locked up. I will be retrieving it in a couple weeks, and awaiting the paperwork from the estate.

Could you share pictures of your new family barn find before you even blow the dust off, then in the sunlight. I don't remember the body style and condition. I am trying to locate and purchase a head from a TD or TE to install on my TA-21.

Al

Posted (edited)

Hello Phil, 

Yes, Car and Classic is a good resource. Sadly, Alvis was not imported to the US in large numbers. Those that have come to the US are mostly later models. It is my feelings that we Americans have largely missed out on this quality Marque. I have been patient hunting and have purchased, here in the US, a TA-14 DHC, a TA-14 parts donor car and lastly a TA-21 project, (all right hand cars). It has been a bit painful being required to shop for most all the parts I have needed in England, the exchange rate is not kind and shipping is a bit over the top.  Lastly, I keep hoping that a Speed Model might come out of hiding, here in the US, that I could become caretaker of. What a hobby........

Al

Edited by alsfarms
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 6/16/2024 at 3:38 PM, alsfarms said:

Could you share pictures of your new family barn find before you even blow the dust off, then in the sunlight. I don't remember the body style and condition. I am trying to locate and purchase a head from a TD or TE to install on my TA-21.

Al

As requested. Was over there today getting the wheels to turn

IMG_0558.jpeg

IMG_0560.jpeg

• Like 4

Well, indications are it hasn’t been driven much over the last 3 or 4 decades. The son of the original owner, who restored it in the early 70s, told me these are the same tires he put on it then. (His son says it was a two-time class winner at Pebble. He’s sending me his dad’s file on the car.) It went off the radar sometime later in the 70s or 80s. My uncle bought it out of an estate some 15-20 years ago where it had been sitting for a while. He bought a small collection in order to get the Alvis, and gradually sold the other cars off. In 2018 he spent an appreciable amount of money with a shop to have the major systems gone over. It was running well and stopping, but then his health started failing so I’m not even sure if he ever drove it. I was going over there to fire it up now and then, but it was getting harder to see him so now it hasn’t run in over a year.

Last time I started it I think the float stuck on one of the carbs and it started overflowing. Going to clean that out later this week and I think it will run. I’d like to be able to drive it on to a trailer. I have to move it about 60 miles. If I had title already I might’ve thrown some tires on it and chanced driving it!

• Like 1

Interesting story! I would really like to see pictures of the interior as Alvis was generous with wood trim and leather. If you get a chance, take a short video clip on a start up and possible drive. You are probably aware, Alvis is VERY underappreciated here in the US. They are truly one of England's best coach built, (Custom) automobiles. It would be good to know what year your Alvis was at Pebble Beach. We might be able to hunt up some pictures and other information relating to your Alvis. More pictures are good!

Al

Another thought, it is hard to tell from the pictures is the upper body dark blue or black. I like paint scheme used by Alvis. Do you have the rear wheel tire skirts? Being that your Alvis is a two time show winner, the skirts are likely with the car, unless they went missing sometime during its period of hibernation.

Al