Correct hardware (bolts etc) for 42 LC??

lincolnmatthews

I'm getting ready to install the grills, engine etc after a long time apart. Previous owners used a mixture of whatever they had. I believe the heads were suppose to be all plain (with no grade markings etc), but were they zinc plated? Or all painted body color? I would like to put back what's correct, where do you source bolts with no markings ( less than grade 3 or?)

Years ago I got marked down at judging time for using grade 3 bolts on my Mark II (along with the wrong green for the antifreeze if you can believe that!) Pretty munch finished me for showing my cars for points but that's another story! 

Thank you for your help.

Third Generation Automotive sells kit for Ford cars and may be able to supply the correct bolts for your car. You will probably have to supply him with a description (size, thread and finish) of the nuts and bolts that you need.

https://thirdgenauto.com/

The different sizes and finish of the bolts that you need are listed in the Chassis parts catalog. Unfortunately you may ave to do a lot of hunting to find what you need for each spot. Most of the bolts are S2 (black oxide) finish. When you are assembling the parts, give the nuts and bolts a coat of semi-gloss clear coat after assembly. The S2 bolts will start to rust as soon as you install them, if you do not do this and the other finishes will last longer.

Here is a link to a parts catalog for sale:    https://www.ebay.com/itm/154379779108?hash=item23f1c07c24:g:fjsAAOSw1LpgVS5E

You did not say what year car you are working on, but in many of the 1936-1948 models, Ford used special bolts that had thicker heads and some with non-standard heads. I haven't judged for many years now and never at an AACA meet, but if you do use stainless bolts painted black an astute judge can recognize that they are not the original type bolt. If you are assembling a car to drive and can accept point deductions, go ahead with the stainless bolts, they will save you many hours of detailing over the years. The stainless bolts that I have seen, do not have grade markings.

I did not concern myself with the points that I may lose when I had my car judged, I knew that it was not perfect and I was not willing to spend the time or money to make it perfect. I just wanted to get away from the crowd that voted for the car because the owner was your friend or had free beer in his trunk. My office walls are full of trophies and I don't need any more.

Thanks Tom, that's funny about your judging experience and the free beer! My 56 Mark ll was being judged at a LCOC meet and one of the judges marked me down for the wrong bolts (which I was fine with) but when of them didn't like the antifreeze color (it was fresh green Prestone) that ticked me off a bit. The car scored 90 pts not that great but was basically a parts car when I got it and took me 7 yrs to get it to 90 pts! Anyway it would never had been a 98 pts car (to much time and money also).

About 25 yrs ago after driving my Mark lll about 8 hrs to get to another WA meet I was about a half our late after they closed the field for arrivals, so they wouldn't let me compete. I guess rules are rules but at the time thought they could let me in, they hadn't even started anything yet. I know it was my own damn fault! So I haven't had a car judged since, to much stress! 

Oh by the way my car now is my 42 LC Coupe, I may use SS hardware grille areas and Sand them all and paint them a flat black. As I'm not planning on ever showing the car for points. Thanks again, sorry if I offended anyone with my LCOC rants! And thank you for the links for a parts catalog.

LCOC is not the only club that has over zealous judges. All clubs have them and I don't let it bother me because it is just a hobby with me and I enjoy the social part of the meet. My Lincoln is an unrestored car and is not very pretty under the hood, so it gets points taken off when ever I show it. My 40 Mercury does not get judged at EFV8 meets because it has received the highest award 3 times when being judged. Now the Meet Judge checks to make sure that the car has not degraded from Concourse condition. I enjoy taking both cars to meets even if I don' come home with a trophy.