1929 Salon catalog advertisement - coachbuilt P-A

Walt G

Although many may collect the period advertisements that were in general news stand magazines available to the public ( Saturday Evening Post, Literary Digest, etc) There were select advertisements that were placed for a specific market and level of customers.  Many advertisements for P-A were usually seen in the souvenir programs issued for the annual Custom Body Salons held in San Francisco, N.Y., Chicago, and Los Angeles.  Many were minus a lot of "copy" ( words) as their audience knew what they were looking at and wanted to buy. The advertisements in the salon catalogs/programs were very expensive to place, reached a limited select audience ( you had to be invited to attend a salon they were not open to the general public) The programs for all the salons were produced in NY City, printed by the Williams Press of NY City & Albany NY.

I have all the information as to who was responsible for these ( Director, Art Consultant, Production Dept. etc) and 95% of all the Salon programs for the four annual salons from 1917 to 1932. It has taken me 50 years and I still don't have a complete run!

Here is one I will share from the 1929 San Francisco Salon catalog ( held at the Palace Hotel  end of February to early March)

Hope you enjoy it. Note the lack of most any copy/words except to identify the coach builders. This could be an story for every make shown as they all had their own unique style of how to present a car to attract the level of customers they wanted. It would also trace the lineage of what was shown when and where. More untold or rarely thought of stories.

Walt

PierceArrow1929SFsalon.jpg

• Like 2