Upper control arm shafts.....................

protrash63

Im going to work on the suspension first as I am doing similar work on other projects.  

The upper control arm shafts remind me of the same solid pivot that I have rebuilt on mid 60's pickups many times. I have often wondered if these things really wear out. What say you? I have never seen one fall apart or be broken in the truck applications.

You are correct.  IF the vehicle was taken any kind of care threwout it's life they are probably OK as there if very little they have to do as far as any real movement or weight.  Just check them for any play/looseness & proceed as you see fit.

Tom T.

• Thanks 1

In between staring at broken stuff and being overwhelmed I decided to start bouncing the front end to see if it was going to make funny noises or clunk around. Well I was really surprised when the shocks slowed it right down as I would expect with any vehicle that was in good condition. Thats when I realized what the shafts were and and how they look like the Chevy pickups thru 72.

53 minutes ago, telriv said:

Yes many/most are built along the lines of 3/4 & 1 ton trucks & have to haul around almost as much weight unloaded.

Tom T.

Ive built/owned 4 64-66 pickups so Im very familiar with them....the Riv is new to me so seeing familiar items based on my previous experience. The older car is the newest to me! LOL!