4 Core Rad

My 68 GS400 with a 2 core rad continually runs hot so I would like to switch to a 4 core rad. My local parts store has a replacement with the same dimensions but larger tanks. Can anybody tell me if the larger tanks on a 4 core will fit without modifing my rad support or fan shroud?

Find a good radiator shop and ask what core<BR>can be used with your existing tanks.<BR>I did this for my wagon w/455. It is cooling fine with the 4-core and original tanks. I just had the same shop put a "d" core with the tanks of my 65 Wildcat. Heavy duty stuff is available. Cost $300, radiator fits like original and cools like a brand new one.<P>------------------<BR>Ted Nagel <BR>65 Wildcats <BR>65 Riviera <BR>65 Special Wagon 455 <BR>70 GS Stage1 4 Speed<BR>66 Fleetwood Brougham

I have never found the tanks to be bigger on any four row rad. Usually the two row, looks stupid because the tanks are the same as the four row and it looks out of place. <P>NAPA auto parts has Modine radiators at very good prices, I got a four row for my wifes Skylark for only about $150.00 as I remember. It was the same radiator that is in my Gran Sport. And it did bolt right in, the rubbers are even thesame because the tanks are. smile.gif<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"

Thanks for your resposes. A Modine rad was excatly what I was looking at but the replacement listed for my car (#351) is a two core with tanks measuring <BR>2-3/4" X 18-5/8" and the four core (#348) has tanks measuring 3-1/2" X <BR>18-5/8" which led to my dilemma. The core size remains the same except the thickness which grows from 1-1/4" to 2-5/8". <BR>It would appear to be much cheaper to go this route than modifying my existing rad but of course only if the bigger rad will fit.<BR>Mark

I have never seen that, but if it is ,it is. You will need new rubber pads for the radiator but it will bolt in.<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"

Take a good look at your rad support and upper brackets first. I have a 69GS and 69 Sportwagon and am fairly sure that the large tanks do not fit well on the 68/69.<BR>The 67 and 70-72 rad panels/supports allow using the wider rubbers to fit the large tank rads.<BR>I tried putting a Modine 348 in my 69 and while it did barely fit, the lower drivers side tank rubber on the rad support. Eventually, it started to leak and I had to replace it with the 3 core.<BR>What you may consider is checking with a good rad shop to see about a high density 3 core. You will get more fins per inch which should help the cooling. Another possibility is that there may be a 4 core rad that will fit the smaller 3 core tanks. Supposedly, a buddy of mine had one installed years ago in his GSX so that he could keep the stock tanks (70 models only had the 3 core).<BR>Hope this helps you.<BR>Good Luck,<BR>Mark

You can get an alum. Griffin radiator from Summit for $187. With an intergral transmission cooler for another $30. Can't beat it.