31 PA. Time to change the carb.

The correct DRT-08 for my 31 PA is not liking the hot and humid TX summer.  It was job in itself getting it working correctly at cooler temps. Would like to do the swap for the next year BB-1.  Anyone know a source?  They made so many different ones starting in 32.

Carter 4A2 was used from PB-1001 through PB-32668.

Carter 4A3 superseded 4A2 beginning with PB-32669.

Carter 4A3 had major calibration changes: idle leaner, main metering leaner, power richer.

Either could be calibrated either way.

I have both.

Jon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I answered your question as to model, and possible source; however:

It is quite possible you are blaming the wrong culprit. I can see nothing about the carburetor that would not like the humidity.

On the other hand, Plymouth has been infamous for more than 75 years for not starting easily in humid weather. My Dad used to say if a dog urinated on a Plymouth tire, the car would not start! It was a common saying in north central Missouri where I grew up (and probably elsewhere). About 50 years ago, some Plymouth enthusiast found that the factory location of the coil on many 1930's and 1940's Plymouths was under a spot in the hood where humidity would condensate, and drip on the coil. Relocating the coil would solve the problem!

Perhaps this is your issue.

There is absolutely no doubt that the 4A2 and 4A3 mentioned above are technologically superior to the 209s. However, either is expensive due to "numbers-matching" folks, and if you have an electrical issue replacing a decent carburetor with a better carburetor will not solve the issue; just make your wallet thinner ;)

I would suggest checking out the ignition system before spending the money for either of the 2 PB carbs.

Jon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This carb I had to rebuild using a chevy part kits and getting the proper drill rod size bits for the idle tube holes. Chevy was too small and would only idle at 3/4 choke. Now the car will run and drive fine. Starts fine. Idles fine but with a little popping. But it could be much better when the humidity is up.  You can tell power is lacking as the temp and humidity climb.  Did vac and compression test on all cylinders and that is fine. Maybe I am just asking too much from an old car and using my 31 Franklin in comparison.