1957 Pontiac

deac

Posted (edited)

When you do a rewire project there are often things that you find along the way that either don't work correctly or don't work at all.  In my Pontiac's case it was the windshield wipers.  It's a cable operated system.  Specifically the motor on the firewall in the center and the two towers that the wiper arms attach to and they're connected to the motor using cables.  So when the motor is on the right and left cables are turning their respective towers.  Well that's how a 57 Pontiac's wiper is supposed to work.  But in my 57 the cables were hooked up right but they were binding.  So we removed them from the car and found the left side pulley was frozen, hence the cable was binding.  The right side threads the secure the tower to the car were stripped.  Luckily I found a rebuilt set on freeBay and they are supposed to be here later in the week!

1957 pontiac wiper  transmission assembly #1  right & left - Picture 1 of 6

Edited by deac (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Made good progress in the past few days. The firewall insulator pad is in and the fuse box is in. The under dash wiring is in and neatly tucked behind the dash gauges. The blower motor, reserve lights, neutral safety switch and the dome should all working when we install the battery. Rebuilt front end then fuel sender, the rewire and firewall insulator pad. The 57 Pontiac project is getting pretty close to done. I'm excited!

PXL_20240808_180704213.jpg

PXL_20240808_180801490.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Had to rebuild the carburetor because the was running way too rich. Found the one of the main jets was sitting in the bottom of the float bowl. Also found a lot of dirt on the bottom of the float bowl. Has to clean the plugs too. The under hood wiring is all complete as well. Just trying to get some glass fuses so we can connect the battery!

PXL_20240809_020247452.jpg

Posted (edited)

Well the rewire of my '57 Pontiac is done.  In the proceeding posts I was trying the install a modern stereo head unit from Retro-Sounds and the fuse block couldn't handle a simple load from a generic head unit; that's the reason I did the rewire now instead of putting it off for a few months as originally planned.  Happy to report that everything works as did in 1957!

The car has come a long way in the last 3 1/2 years: brakes, carburetor/manifold swap,  cooling system rebuild complete transmission service, pinion seal and rear fluid change, new tires, front end rebuild, complete rewire and firewall pad replacement, new stereo, new carpet & trunk mat, new rear bumper end caps and I'll bet there's more that I just cannot remember at 11:30pm.  This project is not done but the end is near.  I don't recall if I mentioned that I have entered the Pontiac in fairly prestigious show called the San Marino Motor Classic put on by Aaron Weiss in 2 weeks.  Though I was planning to enter it for next years show the guys who have been working with me persuaded me to enter the car in this years show.  I don't know how it will do but for me it will immense gratification on a project of a lot of effort, time and money.  As I said earlier the car is not done yet (are old car ever done?) so I will post pictures next time! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well my 57 Pontiac made the show; though it didn't win any awards it definitely held its own.  There were people constantly looking and photographing it. I even had a dad asking if he could open the drivers door so his young daughters could see in.  Things like this make it all worth it!  I was able to get some feedback from the judge about my car.  So I have some things to do before next years show.  It's a very competitive show and there are a lot of owners with much deeper pockets than me.  It's all good - what a fun experience!

This is a CCCA sanctioned show and Pontiacs are far from being a CCCA classic and a coveted mark in this arena.  This makes it harder to win.  But I must say that my friend got 3rd place in class with his 50 Pontiac 8 coupe.  This car is immaculate; I don't think you will find one better! He drove the car in the awards ceremony to receive his trophy and as he started to leave the stage Jay Leno ran out congratulating him and said he really liked his Pontiac and that not too many people restore this these cars nowadays.

57 Pontiac

PXL_20240825_193812886.jpg

1957 PontiacPXL_20240825_154825315.jpg

1950 Pontiac 8 coupe

IMG_9539.jpg

Jay Leno

IMG_9537.jpg

• Like 3