1954-55 Small Series Standard Transmission

avgwarhawk

One project on my bench I have been trying to get to....  Sliding 1st/reverse gear pitted. Noisy as a cement mixer.  I finally had a minute to crack it open. Fortunately I have been able to source two sliding gears (I have two manual transmissions. One in the car. The other right here on the bench).  I also scored a cluster gear for future use.  All other gears look good but need closer inspection.

PXL_20210327_130508366.jpg

PXL_20210327_130501168.jpg

PXL_20210327_130518752.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have assembled the gears and mechanisms to move the gears however I have come across an issue. As I spin the shaft assembly, any gear, the entire input and main shafts expand forceful pushing the input shaft bearing out. I can not push the bearing back into the case.  If I spin the assembly in a reverse direction after it sound out the bearing it will retract the bearing(or pressure released) so I can push it back into the case.  See the video.  Thoughts?

https://youtube.com/shorts/FA0WrXEKqkc

44 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

The input and main shaft support the gears. The two shafts meet up by the front synchro. 

Let me rephrase this:  The cut of the gears is causing the end thrust of the assembly, something has to hold the assembly in the case. I will look in the manual.    John

Quote: "The transmission drive gear is supported by a ball bearing seated in front wall of transmission case. The ball bearing, which is shielded on rearward side, is pressed against a shoulder on main drive gear and held in place by an oil slinger, washer, and retainer (snap ring) . The outer race of the bearing is grooved for a snap ring which fits between transmission case and flywheel housing to hold bearing and main drive gear in place."     From 55 shop manual, pg 4-14

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TexasJohn55 said:

Quote: "The transmission drive gear is supported by a ball bearing seated in front wall of transmission case. The ball bearing, which is shielded on rearward side, is pressed against a shoulder on main drive gear and held in place by an oil slinger, washer, and retainer (snap ring) . The outer race of the bearing is grooved for a snap ring which fits between transmission case and flywheel housing to hold bearing and main drive gear in place."     From 55 shop manual, pg 4-14

Thanks. The issue was a thrust bearing in front of the sleeve gear.  It's now working as designed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TexasJohn55 said:

Let me rephrase this:  The cut of the gears is causing the end thrust of the assembly, something has to hold the assembly in the case. I will look in the manual.    John

I concur but the expansion of the input and main shaft would occur no matter if the shafts spun clockwise or counterclockwise.  I ruled out the cut of the gears as the cause.  I found a thrust bearing in front of the sleeve gear as the culprit. 

2 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

I concur but the expansion of the input and main shaft would occur no matter if the shafts spun clockwise or counterclockwise.  I ruled out the cut of the gears as the cause.  I found a thrust bearing in front of the sleeve gear as the culprit. 

Now I am the one that doesn't understand, but I don't need to.  😉

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Problem resolved.  The sliding sleeve gear was not playing nice with a thrust washer between the input shaft and main shaft. Small series 3 speed is rebuilt.

This is funny! Why did we have this conversation anyway?  I re-read the entire thread and realized you had answered my first question 3 hrs later with 2 videos, somehow I had completely missed that. Carry on!   Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

29 minutes ago, TexasJohn55 said:

This is funny! Why did we have this conversation anyway?  I re-read the entire thread and realized you had answered my first question 3 hrs later with 2 videos, somehow I had completely missed that. Carry on!   Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

No worries.  A helpful hand is better than no helping hands at all. You stating the gear design does force the parts forward with the spin of the shaft. I thought so as well and your answer confirmed it.  So I needed to rethink what part was installed that may be the culprit being pushed forward with the shafts.     Thanks for the help!

• Like 2