Wire wheel lug bolts for 1927 Sports Roadster

jari12

Hello All,

Does anyone know of a source for the lug bolts for the wire wheels for a 1927 Sports Roadster?  I have repaired all four of my wire wheels and have secured the wheel rims from a set of wooden wheels and the rim bolts and tabs.  I don't have a full set of the rings so I will run the hardware from the wooden wheels for now.  My problen is that two of the wire rims were off the car when I got it and the lug bolts were missing.  They are pretty unique bolts and I can't seem to find them no matter where I look.  I have attached a couple of photos.  They have a tapered shoulder under the rounded bolt head and two "keys" below that which slide into slots or keyways in the hub.  I would appreciate any suggestions you might have for sourcing replacements.  Thank you.

IMG_20200603_125036.jpg

IMG_20200603_125043.jpg

IMG_20200603_125100.jpg

IMG_20200603_125130.jpg

Bummer.  I was sure one of you guys would come up with a shop that has them on the shelf or one that could make them.

As an alternative, would it be possible to press studs into the hub and use regular lug nuts to hold the rims on?  My front wheels were off when I got the car and the previous owner used carriage bolts through holes drilled in six lug chevy rims (to get the larger dia. bolt pattern) to mount rollers.  I removed my rear wheels by pulling the hub/drum/wheel assembly.  The nuts were on the back (internal side) the bolts slide in from the outside.  I've been considering pressing studs in from the back.  My only concern is the two "keyways" in the hubs that the "keys" on the bolts slide into.  Any ideas?  Do you think this will work or will it give me problems?