1958 Olds Brake system

I just purchased a 1958 Olds 88 for my son for Xmas. We are awaiting a Tech. Manual in the mail, but thought I could start here....I have gotten everything running but have questions on the brake system. I do not know where to begin with the brakes.....The brakes are weak and I would like to start by bleeding the system. I see a "booster" tank in the passenger wheel well. It sounds empty. I do not see any fill tube for the system. I need help! Point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Guest Albert

If your car has a tredle vac power brake system that could be the reserve vaccuum tank, if it has two lines one to the intake and the other to the brake booster that what it is, it only holds a vaccuum to give you a couple of stops should the engine quit. the wheel cylinder kits are F19386 for the front and rear is F19325 Wagner do not show complete cylinders or the master Kanter may have them or maybe even Napa or such. One problem thes tredle vacs have is the seal between the master cylinder and the vaccuum booster will leak and the motor will suck out all the brake fluid out of the master cylinder.

Thanks Guys....I do have the master cylinder way down below (actuated by a direct rod to the brake pedal) But I do not see a fill method. There is a small tube in front of the master cylinder that has a rounded cap but it does not appear to come off (previous attempts by another owner to twist off top have slightly twisted the tube). I will look again.

Again thanks for your help.

• 5 weeks later...

Through another thread on this site I was able to get the choke fixed and the car running well. While testing the car up my 300' driveway I lost the brakes and plowed into a snow bank (good thing it was soft). I had purchased a repair manual for the car but it has not shown as of yet. Does anyone know of a web site that would have diagrams of the system. I am anxious to get going on this problem and need help.

Thanks

I have a 59 Olds.....On that master cyl/booster assembly there should be a tube sticking out and up about 5 inches long with a cap. This is the fill and there is a dipstick attached. If the car hasnt been gone thru in 10 years or so ya had better replace all the rubber flex brake lines as well as replace or rebuild the wheel and master cyls...Its pretty straight forward...Look to NAPA, Fusick or Kanter for parts.

Thanks Oldsmaniac, I have looked at that tube and attempted to take the cap off. I noticed that the tube was twisted like a piece of licorice (obviously attempts by previous owners to remove a stuck cap). I then backed off trying to remove thinking that the tube may not be a fill tube that it could have been a breather. I will give it a better attempt.

Thanks again.