Local club member buys a Mode T... two years older than him!

Chris Bamford

Several original members of the Edmonton Antique Car Club in 1962 are still with us — founding member Bob England is not only still with us at 96 years young, but also still sharp, still driving, and as of 11:00 this morning, still falling prey to the mighty Model T.

Bob has owned and/or restored a number of Ts over the years, but the last one was probably 30+ years ago. Another club member was advertising his recently-restored '26 RPU and apparently Bob figured now was the time to jump back in water. He knew I was familiar with the car and called me for some background info, and as he explained it "This money in the bank is not really doing much for me. Maybe I should have some fun with it". I couldn't agree more.

They say the happiest days in owning an old car (old boat, old motorcycle, old house, etc) are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. Both parties were happy folks today. Me too — I was asked to drive the old girl 25 miles from seller to buyer and was delighted to help, notwithstanding the rather chilly -7°C (20°F) weather and brisk wind from the northwest.

Still getting excited about old cars at 96. That's the guy I want to be 31 years from now!

Jerry & Bob 26T RPU.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Great stuff, Chris, and nice that you were able to help out.  Don't we all want to be like that in 31 years!  Hopefully there will still be gas to buy and roads we're allowed to drive on.  And maybe we'll be finished that project that's tucked away in the back corner of the garage by then. 

Peter