Why General Motors Went To Options Packages …

J3Studio

… the 1980 Riviera had 14 (!) audio options:

UM7 Signal Seeking AM‐FM Stereo Radio w/Digital Readout  $185.00
UU1 AM‐FM Stereo Full Feature Radio  $208.00
UM2 8 Track Tape & AM/FM Stereo Radio  $81.00
UM4 8 Track Tape & Signal Seeking AM/FM Stereo Radio With Digital Readout $298.00
UU3 8 Track Tape & AM/FM Stereo Full Feature Radio  $289.00
UM6 Cassette Tape & Signal Seeking AM/FM Stereo w/Digital Clock  $325.00
UN3 Cassette & AM/FM Stereo Radio  $94.00
UU2 Cassette Tape & AM/FM Stereo Full Feature Radio  $302.00
UP6 CB & AM/FM Stereo Radio (includes Antenna U83)  $290.00
UP1 CB, 8 Track Tape & AM/FM Stereo (incl. antenna U83)  $360.00
UM3 Signal Seeking CB & AM/FM Stereo w/Digital Clock (incl. antenna U83)  $473.00
UM5 Signal Seeking CB, 8 Track Tape & Signal Seeking AM/FM Stereo w/Digital Clock  
                          (incl. antenna U83)  $587.00
UN5 Signal Seeking CB, Cassette Tape & Signal Seeking AM/FM Stereo w/Digital Clock  
                          (incl. antenna U83)  $613.00
U83 Triband Power Antenna  
                          (incl. w/CB radios) 

—and, by the way, the new forum software pastes rich text really well.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

My '87 Grand National had to be ordered a 2nd time as the Dealer cancelled my order and others to allow them to let a dozen trickle into their inventory to price them at' List+'! Many dealers in my area did this, a crooked practice that GM of Canada eventually rectified with a number on your order and fine print changed. With outraged Customers, GM's arm was twisted to re-start production - extended production in September 1987 to December. This when the new FWD Regals were introduced. A significantly lesser car but superior fit and finish.

The point is that this extended production run had 3 packages to pick from if I remember correctly. No comprehensive list of options as found in the regular 1987 production run.

My 2nd order did result in taking delivery of a new Grand National for much more $$$ and significantly less options. Kind of took the fun out of building my own Unit from the option sheet. I ended up with a run-of-the-mill Unit that was no different to the other Grand National unloaded from the same transporter.

Can't remember what audio options were offered. But the extended run had only 1, the UM7.

My current driver is an F150 Supercrew 4X4 with 3.5L Ecoboost. The latest generation Ecoboost makes that Grand National pale by comparison!

I was unaware of now having Rich Text capability with this Forum. Thanks for the FYI!