Oil pressure

Charlie B.

Typically the oil pressure spiking is a sender problem and is pretty common. Replace the sender which stands vertically on top of the housing for the oil filter. It's a little over an inch in diameter and about 3" high. You may find it helpful to remove the accessory drive belt to get to it. The oil level sender is on the front of the oil pan. Try removing and reinstalling the connector.

I had a similar problem with my 89. The sending unit was the problem. One little hint on changing the sending unit is to use a plumbers "basin wrench". When you see where the sender is and then see the basin wrench you'll understand why it's the perfect tool for the job. Using mine I changed the sender in about 10 minutes. Much easier than removing the belt and then having to replace it. I have no clue on the low oil level readout. Checking the connector is as good a place to start as any.;)

I forgot to mention,... good luck finding a crowsfoot big enough. Craftsman doesn't make one, or at least ours didn't stock one large enough. I guess you could go for a Snapon or another one of the "Professional" grades but the price will make you think twice. In all honesty the guy at Sears turned me on to the basin wrench.