What is "nail head"? Slang or authentic description?

Don't know much about Buick V8s. Can someone explain the term "Nailhead"? Is it just a slang handle put on the engines for one reason or another or is it a true Buick description like the Fireball engines? What years would "Nailhead" relate to? Thanks.

The term "Nailhead" was coined when Buick brought out their new V8 in 1953.The first mechanics that looked at the size of the valves said" these look more like nails than valves" .The Buick engine from 1953 to 1966 carried this term ,although by 1963 the "Nailhead" had grown to 425CI from its start at 322CI ,and the valves were considerably larger.

From something I read somewhere:

"The nailhead was introduced for the ?53 model year as a replacement for the ?straight-eight? engine. The basic design of this engine is generally attributed to Buick engineer Joe Turner. Displacing 264 or 322 ci, the new Buicks were state-of-the-art, powerful, overhead-valve V-8s. The 322ci version was designed with an industry-leading 8.5:1 compression, and churned out a respectable 188 hp. Gearheads nicknamed the new V-8s ?nailvalve? or ?nailhead? motors because the intake and exhaust valves were relatively small in size and installed vertically. The engine?s odd valve orientation and pent-roof combustion chamber design gave the engine its distinctive upright rocker covers, which made the nailhead significantly narrower than other V-8 designs." Buick used the nailhead V-8 design from 1953 to 1966 with the largest displacement, I believe, being the 425 c.i.d.

Also, check this out for a cut-away image of the nailhead V-8:

http://www.hotrod.com/editorial/large.jsp?pid=135219

My .02

Ken

1952 Special DeLuxe Riviera

Guest Teamsterdug

To K Davidson: First of all welcome to the BCA discussion forum. It's good to see new names come aboard. Especially ones that look like they will be helpful in sharing knowledge in our common interests....BUICKS! Your information and references are helpful and interesting. Welcome aboard. wink.gif