LAGONDA RAPIER.

I have just now put a comment on another Forum, my first car, 68 years ago was a 1938 Morris 8hp. Today I still own a Morris, this one a 1924 Oxford RaworthSpecial (replica) It is at present being restored. You would think that by now that I would have learnt?

RaworthSpecial.jpeg.d90f6285a0126f8897353f1dbf1c2987.jpeg

Bj.

• Haha 1

Me again:- Please do not think that my only involvement is with the Morris,

My real interest is in Lagonda Rapiers and more so the one I have owned for quite some time. It is best known as KG as its UK registration was KG 5363,

It has been with me in Australia for a very long time which accounts for my advanced age. I was born in Melbourne in 1936. A lot has changed since then although I have managed to retain my enthusiasm.

Below, KG as it is today!

7395F97D-97B3-4B5D-B18450.jpg.dfb56b7407f78b7f1e85cd41b6a2bb5b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

RaworthSpecial.jpeg.d90f6285a0126f8897353f1dbf1c2987.jpeg

Now regarding Our Morris it has just been christened "Threepence" after the 1921 Coin found hidden among thge upholstery, Checking with one of our local coin dealers the coin is worth almost as much as the car. Regardless of its value this "threepenny bit" is destined to be mounted on the Morris dash-board. 

Hello, The purpose of any "forum" is for a two way conversation, It is my wife, Helen, who sits in the passenger seat, maps on her knees and camera held in both hands who makes these photographs possible. Probably even now some years later, she could tell you where on the map this photo was taken. The snow on the road has only minutes before slipped down the mountain side and onto the road in front of us. Despite the cold we have, as almost always, the hood (top) down.  Surely there is some question you may like to ask. Some comment you would like to make.

The Rapier is a 1934 model which means that it is, despite its mechanical sophistication, it is very much a basic car with regards to passenger comforts. i.e. No air conditioning or extra heating. Especially with the "top" down and no "side screens" to keep out the chills.

The list below may give you some idea about where the Lagonda Rapier has taken us....

Alpine Passes Conquered.

in the French, Italian and Swiss Alps & the Pyrenees

During visits to Europe with the 1934 Lagonda Rapier CH1998 (KG 5363)

in 1994,6,9 & 2004, 09, & 14.

Col de l’Iseran                           2,769 metres. (Both directions.) (F)

Passo dello Stelvio                   2,758 metres.                                     (I)

Col du Galibier                          2,645 metres. (Both directions)   (F)

Passo di Gavia                          2,621 metres.                                      (I)

Port d’Envalire                           2408 metres    (Pyrenees)             (F-S)

Furka Pass                                 2,431 metres.                                     (CH)

Col d’Izoard                               2,361 metres. (Both directions)   (F)

Albula Pass                                2,312 metres.                                    (CH)

Julier Pass                                  2,284 metres.                                    (CH)

Susten Pas                                 2,224 metres.                             (CH)

Penser Joch                               2,214 metres                                 (I)

Ofen Pass                                   2,149 metres.                                    (CH)

Col du Tourmalet                    2115  metres   (Pyrenees)          (F)

Col de Vars                                2,111 metres (Both directions)  (F)

Jaufen Pass                               2,094 metres                                 (I)

Col du Mt Cenis                        2,083 metres (Both directions)  (F-I)

Port de La Bonaigua               2072 metres  (Pyrenees)          (F-S)

Col du Lautaret                         2,068 metres (Both directions)   (F)

Oberalp Pass                             2,044 metres                              (CH)

Cormet de Roseland               1.922 metres (Both directions)   (F)

Mount Ventoux                          1,909 metres                                (F)

Passo Tonale                            1,883 metres                                 (I)

l’Alpe d’Huez                             1,860 metres (Both directions)    (F)

Col de Montgenevre               1,850 metres (Both directions)    (F-I)

Col du Pourtalet                      1,794 metres    (Pyrenees)          (F)

Col d’Aubisque                       1,709 metres   (Pyrenees)          (F)

Col du Somport                         1,632 metres (Pyrenees)            (F-S)

Col du Telegraphe                                    1,578 metres (Both directions)    (F)

Col de Peyresoude                 1,569 metres   (Pyrenees)           (F)

Lenzerhide                                1,547 metres                              (CH) 

Monte Bondone                        1,537 metres                               (I)

Col de la Forclaz                      1,526 metres                              (CH)

Gampen Joch                            1,518 metres                              (I)

Col de Aspin                              1,490 metres   (Pyrenees)         (F)

Col des Aravis                           1,486 metres                              (F)

Col de Soulor                            1,474 metres   (Pyrenees)          (F)

Col des Montets                        1,461 metres                              (F)

Col de Portel                            1,432 metres  (Pyrenees)           (F)

Col de Peguere                        1,375 metres  (Pyrenees)           (F)

Col de Portillion                        1,293 metres  (Pyrenees)           (F)

Col de Jouels                            1,247 metres   (Pyrenees)          (F)

Col de La Crouzette                1,245 metres    (Pyrenees)        (F)

Col  de Portet d’Aspet             1,069 metres    (Pyrenees)       (F)

Col  des Ares                                797 metres    (Pyrenees)       (F)

Col deCharcany                        571 metres     (Pyrenees)      (F)

Col de St Christaut                    514 metres    (Pyrenees)      (F)

CH) Switzerland. (F) France.  (I) Italy. (S) Spain.

Other countries visited include Belgium, Germany,  Holland & Luxemburg

In the UK, High Street in the Lakes District, 815 metres,

the Devils Staircase, Mid Wales, 481metres.

In Australia, Charlotte Pass, in the Kosciuszko National Park,  1.760 metres 

Dead Horse Gap, near Threadbo Village, 1,580 metres.

• Like 2