Brake Trouble

After getting my tires rotated and going through a car wash I am having brake problems. Though these are probaly not contributing to the problem I want to cover the whole scenario. Upon trying to use the car after it sat for about six hours on a cold Indiana night the rear driver's side wheel is locked. The car was parked on my sloped driveway with the parking break on. After removing the wheel and inspecting the brake lines nothing was obvious. The parking brake releases fine and I bleed the line on that side. I have no way of simutaneously bleeding the lines on my own. I am planning on taking it to the local GM giant for service. I don't know if anyone there is knowledgable in the Teves II System. I was wondering if anyone knows a such a mechanic in the Michiana (North Central Indiana) area. I have read the posting on brake failure and am planning on draining the break fluid before I do anyting else. Thanks!

Sorry; I am thinking the parking brake is stuck on the drives side.

How do you know "the parking brake is releasing fine"? I think the cable is rusted.

Could I have more details on what you did, Robert

l

Guest wally888

Was the brake actually on, pads to rotors?

Opening the bleed valve should remove all pressure! If it is still locked , pads to rotors=emer. brake cable or?

Sounds mechanical-more info?

as the previous post said, opening the bleader valve should have released the caliper if it was a pressure problem. If not, suppose that sliders are binding and/or the piston is stuck in the bore of the caliper. MOST LIKELY [PISTON]. Not uncomom for a 14 year old car. Taking the piston out and cleaning usually fixes this problem. A new or rebuilt of corse is much easier................ HAPPEN to me 100 miles from home. Forced the piston back in and then drove without using brakes until I got back home. Mostly highway miles but a real challange. Ken

Guest wally888

kennyw

I wanted to suggest something about pushing piston back but am not familiar w/ actual disassembly of calipers, etc.

In an emergency, locked brake, could one remove the wheel, open the bleeder and pry the piston back using big screwdriver or ?

The rear brakes have a screw in e-brake assembly. To back off the caliper to replace the pad I had to pull the e-brake lever and screw the piston back in using the "actuator screw" (put nut back on so will not just sink in housing).

Trying to just press back is an excersise in frustration and possible damage. See page 5B7-6 & 7 in the 88 FSM