Old double twist brass horn "Germany"

lump

Once in a while you can still find nice old automotive items at yard sales, junk shops, antique malls, auctions, etc. Even more rare, of course, is finding items which are not priced outrageously. 

I found a nice old brass horn, double twist, with "Germany" and "2072" and "Signal" (with an arrow through it) stamped in the top. I would really like to know if anyone can offer me any information about it. It is slightly smaller than typical Rubes horns as were found on Model T's, etc. The mouth opening is 6.25" O.D., the overall length from the mounting bracket to the mouth is 7.5", and the twisted tubes about 4.5" inches across the body. 

Of course I know that such horns would have been sold by auto dealerships, hardware stores, and early auto parts stores for anyone to use on anything. But sometimes we can find out a little more about some old brass items. If anyone can share anything with me, it will be appreciated. Following are some pictures: 

IMG_1735.JPG

IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

IMG_1737.JPG

Hey lump,

I'm not familiar at all with these early horns but do you suppose the small end fit to an extended flexible tube or do you think the rubber squeeze ball fit right onto the horn?

The bracket looks like it was mounted to the right side of the car.

Greg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

The horn coils laying flat rather than standing upward and no screen mesh cover  over the front is typical of a style of horn used on the AA style Maxwells, circa 1909 to 1911, the little 2 cylinder cars.  Not sure it's a direct match.  Most surviving cars use whatever horn they can find so there are few photo references to go to.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Hey lump,

I'm not familiar at all with these early horns but do you suppose the small end fit to an extended flexible tube or do you think the rubber squeeze ball fit right onto the horn?

The bracket looks like it was mounted to the right side of the car.

Greg

Greg, 

Actually, that fitting screws off. I was almost certainly the end piece of a flexible tube. But of course, many of the old rubber bulbs had the same hole and thread size, so in practice, either way would work, I think.