1940 deluxe fuel tank question

I just bought a 40 deluxe coupe, totally restored but stored in a museum with gas in it for 20 years.  I drained the tank and flushed it with fresh gas, replaced the soft fuel line to the pump (which I intend to replace also) and installed a fuel filter forward of the tank to catch any tank debris.  I can start the car when i fill the bowl but get no fuel from the tank at all.  When i remove the hard line from front of  the tank (which has about 6 gallons of fresh gas in it) nothing comes out.  I'm wondering if there is a pick up tube on the inside of the tank that may be clogged?  Shouldn't fuel come out of the tank when i remove the hard line or is that a function of vacuum from a good working fuel pump?  Just trying to troubleshoot before i remove the tank.   Thanks in advance for any advice.  

Gas should come out of the tank when the fuel line is disconnected from the tank. Try blowing compressed air into the tank via the fitting to clear the pickup line. If that works, I would drop the tank and clean the inside. I have always taken my tanks to the radiator shop, but I recently read a post that suggested Dawn dish washing soap to clean the tank.