MJC classics in Lakeland, FL BIG swindle !

Having read through all the posts concerning this disgraceful scam , I’m afraid in these days of  internet shopping it won’t be the last as this method is widely open to fraud. This fraudulent multiple selling of a single article is common  with any commodity, particularly property, in Cyprus where I live most of the time , I know of many instances where crooked developers have sold the same properties to sometimes 3 or 4 people , recently 100 apartments mainly sold online to Russians and Australians were subsequently sold again to Turkish customers.

However back to car related topic , I have bought from three  American dealers , Gateway in Chicago and Beverley Hills car club and  Kurt Tanner and can only say all where beyond reproach and pleasure to do business with . Kurt who also restores cars  is a great guy and been very helpful.

Although I must admit I agree with comments made , where dealers are selling on behalf owners , they are not sufficiently aware of all defects and can unwittingly mislead . Which I found to my cost as one project car  was severely inferior to the  description , the dealer concerned has apologised and offered a large discount off a further purchase 

Therefore as also stated above the safest deal is the one you go to see,  inspect ,pay for and take home with you.

Being abroad , it’s not feasible to personally inspect cars in US so have used a inspector and have had repairs done in restoration workshops and can only say the level of service and extent of the service and trust by people who initially where strangers was far beyond my expectations and now count some as friends , so although their are plenty of scammers out there, there  are also mainly  great honest folks too.

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

In the state of FL to sell consignment cars you need a dealer license.  Also all cars have to be displayed at the dealership not at someone's house or elsewhere. This dealer had a huge warehouse down the street which should have been approved by the state and the warehouse must have a sign displaying hours of operation and the name of the dealership. You also have to have an office at that location too. He did not. I bought one car site unseen from a dealer and he said it was a show car!   I asked him how old the tires were and he said one year old. When I got the car I spent 17 hours detailing it. The air wasn't cold and the tires were 20 years old.  He paid $486 to fix the air and $700 for tires.  The minute I drove the car I knew the brakes were bad. I had to do a full brake job including a leaking master cylinder. I also had to change all fluids from power steering to differential. It's a 1991 Corvette and after 17 hours of detailing it is a beautiful car but I never would have bought it had I personally inspected it.  I spent $2500 on repairs including an oil temp sensor. 

The seller claimed he had sold cars as a dealer for 32 years and his company inspects all vehicles before putting them up for sale.  Total BS.  The brake fluid was black which indicates the Master cylinder is shot. 

I learned a valuable lesson!  The one time I bought a car sight unseen I paid a $2500 price not to mention 17 hours of detailing!   NEVER will I buy a car sight unseen. PERIOD!  I'm not buried in the car and it's beautiful now but it created an expensive and unnecessary hassle. Do not my cars sight unseen and demand seeing the title before you pay for the car.  I find individuals are less likely to embellish their vehicles although there are numerous dealers that have a high level of integrity. 

20200712_103426.jpg

20200712_102403.jpg

20200712_102002.jpg

• Like 1