Watts-Morehouse Trunk HELP

Bullfrog_eng

I am restoring a trunk manufactured by the Watts-Morehouse Company, please see photos.

My problem (at the moment!!) is that part of the lid “stay” has been broken off and is missing. At this stage I am not sure if it is actually a stay or if it is just intended to stop the lid opening too far. I have seen a photo that shows one at each side of the trunk, but it is very unclear. Mine, however only has one on the right hand side of the trunk, please see arrows on the second photo, showing what is left of my stay (if that is what it is) and the mounting point on the lid.

I am hopeful that someone here may have a similar trunk and could take a photo of the complete “stay” so that I can make a new one. Overall measurement would also be helpful.

Any help most appreciated.

John

DSC00342m.jpg

DSC00343m.jpg

DSC00344m.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Senator.

Yours looks slightly different to mine, but only very slightly and in better condition too. I thought mine was not too bad until I stipped it to restore. Never the less, it has come up quite good and is now mounted on my DA Dodge. One of my latches was not repairable, so I have had to use some that were similar but slightly smaller. They turned out OK as well. I eventually gave up on the stay that holds open the lid and have used a piece of chain as a temporary measure. A close up of one of your stays would be really appreciated.

Tomorrow I will take a photo of my trunk as it is now, just for interest.

Thanks a lot for your photos.

John