What would be your idea of a new Buick (part 2)

Guest elk93001

I stated before that I was beginning to like this car.The standard is a good idea.I do still believe that they should OHC that engine.They would get just what ever percentage more power out of the same displacment.They dont have to cam it up to higher rpms just making it more efficent would be sufficient.But we know they are going to can it(3800).Its still not going to be what the Riviera represented.The Riv. and Toro were special.They were high performance full-size two door grand touring luxury.They were GMs answer to the Jag. or Mercedes coupes and GM just threw them away.I dont have the answer to FWD,RWD Im thinking most want FWD today but thats just a guess.Im sure its a easier drivetrain to produce.No driveshaft tunnel gives more room in todays smaller cars.American cars were always about soft ride and many probably still want that.I do,after years of jaring around in compacts I'll never go back.You just have to get the rythmn of the float and sway and smile at how the car just ate that bump up instead of shook every aging bone in my back.If Buick becomes concerned with the handling they could offer an extremn package that had a lowered ride height,heavier spring rate and sway bars.The ride height is just a matter of raising the mounting point of lower control arms and shorter struts.Heavier spring rates reduce the suspension overall travel.Oldsmobile had done some of this to their line up but I cant find the site.They looked pretty nice I especially liked the Alero,the were lowered, ground effects,and other things.<P>Id still like to see something with tri-shields lookin' proud parked next to a Ferrari and Porche

The main GM Oldsmobile website has a section on OSV (Oldsmobile Speciality Vehicles) that includes a high perf Alero (4cyl and manual transaxle) and the companion Intrigue (either supercharged 3.5L or NorthStar V-8). That might be where the Alero you mentioned was seen?<P>As the Alero and current Grand Am use the same chassis calibrations and platforms, probably built in the same plants too, when the Olds brand goes away they will need another product to keep production up and the plants open so a Buick variation might not be so much out of the question.<P>I doubt it would have the 3800, but that would be nice. The transaxle probably would not take the torque of any V-6 though with any degree reliability.<P>As Buick has evolved into the "upscale" luxury import fighter orientation, it would definitely be appropriate for them to have some kind of high perf sedan as Lexus and Infinity do. The Regal GS might not be all that far off, except for the perception that it is "outdated" technology wise with a camshaft buried inside the engine. In any event, I suspect that GM Powertrain could rise to the necessary level if the same management people that killed Oldsmobile will let them.<P>But with the Impala allegedly getting a V-8 in '03 (as mentioned in GM High-Tech Performance magazine a month or so back), then the Regal could also have it. Cadillac probably can't use all of the extra NorthStars that Oldsmobile will not need anyway.<P>Ponder the possibilities . . . . . Even with front wheel drive, the stability systems tend to make which pair of wheels drive the vehicle a moot point, so a more agressive chassis setup with more OHC power might be an interesting situation. Most of the chassis hardware is already in the aftermarket pipeline for Grand Prixs as are engine mod packages for the supercharged GTP models. It just takes someone to make it happen, yet I shudder at the factory price.<P>Most of the handling is related to the basic geometry of the suspension, yet with juggling of spring and sway bar rates with some tire/wheel/strut tuning, the basic ride doesn't have to be that bad and also not float.<P>Enjoy!<P>

Guest Erik Unthank

I'm in my early 30's and will be in the market for a car in the next year or two for my wife. I'd like to consider a Regal GS and I like the styling of Buicks in general, particularly the now defunct Riviera, but am appaled at the cheapness of the materials they use in the interior. There really is no excuse for it. Hopefully someone at the division reads these posts. I'd hate to see Buick go the way of Oldsmobile.

The Regal GS is an awesome car. My first experience seeing one up close was at the GM sponsored "Test Track" ride in Epcot Center. <P>I am 20 yrs old and can no way afford it, but I would definitely buy that car in a flash, if given the opportunity. With estimated 0-60 times of under 6 seconds, you could easily put all those Japanese imports to shame.<P>I just hope Buick realizes that they NEED to adapt to the younger buyers like they did in the good ol' days. I'm still crossing my fingers at the slight chance of seeing the new GNX become an option in 2002. <P>Imagine; 300hp, hood scoops, side vents, and triple exhaust tips! smile.gif Ahh, I can smell the burnt rubber already...too bad it ain't coming from the rear wheels. blush.gif

The original, first-generation front-drive Electra and Park Avenue were probably the most perfectly proportioned Buicks in recent years. I still admire older examples in parking lots to this day. Build a car like that, and I will buy it.<P>------------------<BR> <A HREF="http://members.fortunecity.com/gmfan33/index.html" TARGET=_blank>The Classic Car Resource Page</A>