"the vast majority of the members"

Wow!!

Dosen't that just grab you?

Come one Board Members, let's not get our shorts in a knot again.

Now we hear about a Trouphy for ANY Buick driven to the National? That's done now.....it's called a dash plaque!!! Please dont go "adolescent" on us again and try to please every one, and not offend anyone. By the way, we hear that, to qoute a Board member, "a vast majority of the members" wants this. Wait a darn minute!! Only 5% of members vote,so what is this vast majority? We got involved in this Bugle dispute for two reasons: 1. A small group ( The Board)

hired a new editor/printer for our major means of membership communication with little or no input from members. Now you have heard from members, and quite a few have experience and understanding of printing/reproduction. Example, the discussion of glossy vs. matte paper & should the cover be 80lb or 100 lb. cover stock.

2. Get people who can answer questions like these involved in important BCA decisions.

Maybe we have made some individuals "unhappy" with us, but we don't sweat it.

We just can't stand around and let elected people decide what is best for us.

Last of all, we ARE NOT running for elected office. We seem to get more done out here in the boonies.

F. Tarpey 6209

'38 Century "62 Skylark conv. "62 Special wagon

Some good comments, Tarp.

The dash plaque orientation is a good one, except, that a BCA National Meet is not a weekend cruise-in show & shine. As a national level meet, it should have an award that is a little nicer than what you'd get at a weekend cruise event, I suspect.

At the present time, there is a perception that many people don't drive their Buicks to the National Meet for various reasons. There can be mechanical reasons and there can be other reasons (i.e., "It's not a show car") also. Even with the Archival Class, some feel the "drive it to the meet" orientation is not going quite far enough and should include vehicles that are not completely "as produced" (with respect to non-original parts, but not "modified"). These cars would be more "daily drivers" than "Archival", I suspect, but with further restrictions on production year than other classes (as I recall the proposal made at Kokomo).

To me, the domain of that Driver's Award would fall more in the area of orientation of the Buick Driving Enthusiasts. I understand that they have decided not to participate in that deal or be the presenters of those Driver's Awards. I'm not sure how it was presented to them or any other details of such, but on the surface such an award would reflect their orientation of driving their more vintage Buicks on a regular basis for fun, relaxation, and enjoyment. That's just how it appears to me.

During the BCA Board Meeting that was held in Arlington, TX several years ago, a pretty large group of people got to hear about the then-current editor of The Bugle with respect to his job performance as a BCA employee and similarly his indiscretions while an employee (with respect to job performance). We also were shown two piles of printed documents (letters) that were probably over 500 sheets each, divided into "for" and "against" piles. Even those 1000+ pages of documentation plus the nearly 100 people in the audience would be minor compared to the total number of BCA members at that time. Yet, statistical random sampling methods would indicate that smaller number would pretty accurately predict and describe the larger "population" of BCA members' orientations.

We, as BCA members, vote for the Board of Directors just as we do for our local government officials. We empower them to make decisions in our behalf. We empower them to make decisions about how the organization is run and who it employs in the various support functions for the club (i.e., Office Manager, magazine editor, magazine publisher).

The Board does not typically operate behind closed doors and also can receive input from the members on any subject they are considering and others that probably should be considered. The email addresses for the Board Members are listed on the front page of the BCA website also. Just as with our governmental officials, if the Board does not receive input from the members, whom they represent, they might interpret that to mean there is no input from the members on a particular subject. Similarly, many Board members have requested input from the membership in this forum.

The minutes of prior BCA Board Meetings are also linked on the front page of the BCA website. This allows those who could or did not attend those respective meetings to see what went on or will go on in the future with respect to votes (total and invidual), issues discussed, and possible future agendas when no action was taken on particular subjects.

In prior times, the magazine job was automatically renewed unless notice was given in time that it would not be. This was a holdover from an earlier time and climate in the BCA. I understand that such automatic renewal provisions are not in the current vendor contracts so that forces some things to be evaluated much more often--which is good. Hence, why some issues might seem to be revisited when they weren't in the past.

It is good that the Board is a geographically diverse group, but that still does not totally prevent any individuals or group of individual Board members from having or trying to promote their hidden/private agendas on certain issues. I suspect that is no different than any other national board, yet it would be hoped that what happens is always in the best interest of the BCA organization and its membership. I would also hope that any decisions made were made using sound business principles instead of being based on emotion and the previously memtioned hidden agendas which might exist.

In the past, there have been some interest groups in the membership and individual members that provided their input on various subjects the Board was considering. Whether they were trying to get something passed or prevent such, they still offered their input and the Board made their decisions after such input. As "currently paid up" members, that is our priviledge and one that many are not making use of.

What we out in the field must also understand is that what the Board members see from their perspective is sometimes different than it appears on this side of the field. They are the ones dealing with things we never know about in the day to day functioning of the organization (which is what we elected them to do). Therefore, they can have a totally different view of a particular BCA employee than what the membership might see on a more limited basis, for example.

It's easy to scream and holler about things, but that doesn't change anything. What is more beneficial is to scream and holler AND then offer a valid and workable solution away from the situation for the better good of the organization as a whole on a long term basis. Then, it will be up to the Board to duely consider all input and make their decisions.

In most car clubs I've been around, the members don't necessarily desire to know all of the workings of the club, just as long as it seems to work for them to motivate their continued membership and dues payments. We elect the club officers to take care of the details and make things work. Those that get more involved and stay up with what's going on in the club will be the more active members. The 20/80 rule tends to apply to club members also--80% let the other 20% run the show and be active in club activities/events.

Sometimes it might seem that some get their "unmentionables" in a wad for various reasons, but if that results in an orientation of continuous feedback and resultant continuous improvement of the organization, such periodic reviews can be good. Yet continually revisiting some subjects can be counterproductive also.

In the recently completed governmental elections, some candidates talked about seeking common ground on issues and moving forward. Diverse input is good, but there usually is a common thread or orientation that is the basis for this input and when that point is defined, progress toward a workable solution can occur.

We all need to try to make the BCA and any other entity that we are a part of a better place because we are a part of it/them, but such grand plans can be derailed by the ego orientations of others. We need to stive to make the future better than the "good old days" (if we can) as the future will become the "good old days" tomorrow. We can make it happen!

Thanks for your time and consideration. Have a great week!

NTX5467

Ok NTX5467,

We want to encourage more attendence at Nationals.

Do expensive rooms located away (further than walking distance) draw at a National show? I thought about staying in Lansing or Grand Rapids rather than pay $100.00 a night, plus meals,etc. Then who pays for these "trophies"? Registration costs are rising now. How many people would a free trophie draw? I haven't been to a National since the last one in Chicago, and I understand the Award Banquet runs three to four hours. Yes I avoided that in Chicago too, and I had a wonderful time meeting members and going through the swap area. I guess I am weird. I spend my money on my cars,supporting my chapter, and meeting other people who enjoy their cars. Nope don't need banquets and fancy trophies, to get me to a show, just the nice people. Isn't that the idea....really?

Tarps 6209

Thanks for your comments, Roberta and Tarps.

Tarps, in many respects, the awards banquet has become somewhat unweildy over the years--and it will tend to get worse as more Buick model years become capable of being in the show (due to the "12 Year Rule") as time goes on. There are some strategies which could speed things along, but they might stray from how things were done in the past. At the present time, strict adherance to a schedule and keeping things moving is very important and has been implemented in a variable fashion by the host chapters each year.

One of the contributing factors is the way the BCA has configured its awards levels. There are three levels of awards and the number of awards at each level in each class can be totally variable beyond belief. Such high variability can also somewhat strain the meet's trophy builders in the process too! Certainly, it's not nearly as cut and dried as just giving four trophies in each class as many other car show events do.

There is a valid reason for the way the BCA awards are set up and it works to support other aspects of the BCA awards process too. Add in the other Senior and Senior Preservation awards, Archival awards, and special awards presented by individuals and chapters into the mix and things can string on for a while yet.

One of the "time honored" orientations of the BCA host chapters, Tarps, has been to have a host hotel that is capable of also having all show functions on its premises. As the shows grow and participation similarly grows, this becomes a harder task to make happen. In many geographic areas, finding one main hotel which has some lesser priced lodging nearby--that can meet the "one stop" criteria--just can't be done as it can it other places. Not to mean that a host hotel being remote from the show field/swap meet activities can't be done if properly implemented and planned as we did that in 1996.

The BCA Board has an orientation regarding host hotel room rates. The host hotel is usually moderately upscale or moreso, as it should be. Similarly, there usually are several more mid-level/price accomodation choices nearly so that participants/attendees can make their own decision of staying at the more prestigious host hotel or something that better fits their budget.

But there can be a trade-off in that decision. You can be more remote from the action or you can be more central to it. If a participant decides to get involved, then a closer accomodation would be better than one that is less expensive but farther away (which would kick in travel time and expense to and from the lodging location and the meet events plus related parking issues). End result, the higher priced more central location might be the cheapest of the options. Key thing is to be an "informed shopper" and look at total costs and not just part of the cost picture in choosing where you stay. Plus, if shuttle service is one of the amenities provided by the host chapter, lodging on that circuit would be a consideration too. As with many things, everything has its related cost involved, whether time, money, or otherwise and how each individual chooses to allocate those considerations is their own deal.

There are many issues which can influence National Meet registration costs. These costs will vary from year to year and locale to locale. Part of the overhead will be the trophy expense (including the BCA castings for the awards which the host chapter must purchase from the BCA for the awards) as will other expenses which are not self-supporting from their participation fees (i.e., tours, meals, various rentals). My orientation is that during the planning stages, the host chapter would make a very conservative estimate of attendance and then juggle their registration fees and such to cover the basic costs of the meet (other than the fee-supported functions mentioned above) with the intent of not loosing money. That would be an estimated break-even point, just simple business logic. With this orientation, when more people show up as participants and registerees, profits happen for the host chapter.

Hence, a big meet is always considered to be a "successful" meet for many reasons. Yet, poor planning and expense controls can lead to financial disaster regardless of how big the meet is.

Everyone has their own motivations to come to a National Meet. Other than the awards banquet, there's the cars to see and the parts to browse through, not to forget the great people we meet or re-meet in the process.

The awards banquet can be skipped by some as they desire. It is a somewhat social situation that can be fun and entertaining, plus being the capstone event for the meet before everyone packs up to leave on their trip home or with a BDE tour. When I was at the last Flint meet, I initially considered skipping the awards banquet, but was persuaded to attend. I am glad I did!!! The audio-visual presentation on the history of Buick was fabulous!!! I learned a great deal about Buick, its history, and then-current leadership in the process. I have never regretted attending that event! Yes, we had to sit through a whole lot of introductions of people at the very long head table, plus the awards from the various entities that gave our car awards (but not awards from the BCA judging that did not take place there), but it was a very fun event. You might think you see everyone you want to see at the show field and swap meet, but then you realize how many other people you haven't seen when you see them at the banquet.

Granted, some banquets are better than others (in the various aspects that make them "good" or "bad") but if you don't attend them, you'll probably eat a meal in a eating place that is much less busy that night as everyone's usually at the banquet instead. Your judgment call on that one.

As I mentioned, a BCA National Meet is or should be considered on a higher level than what we'd consider a weekend cruise-in event or even a regional event. There is a certain degree of formality that needs to be there, but not stifling in the process. Every host chapter tries to make the banquet as nice as they can in whatever orientation they are operating under. This diversity and variability from year to year can be good. Some aspects we have to tolerate and endure while trying to make things happen as expeditiously as possible.

If you haven't already made and confirmed your reservations for Flint, you could well be staying a ways away from the action whether you want to or not as others have already made that decision for you by getting their reservations done earlier.

Enjoy!

NTX5467