Garnish moldings

DizzyDale

We are in the process of re-upholstering our 39 Zephyr 3-window coupe.I took off the windshield garnish molding only to discover the dash is NOT removable.My next move was to re-move the door panels only to discover the garnish molding around both side windows is not removable.Am i missing something?I dont want to pull on them too hard,maybe thats why the door panel is in two pieces.Any and all advice is welcome,THANKS diz shocked.gifshocked.gif

I don't know Diz, have just gone through the same process on my '41 LZ, and the dash and garnish rail/window frames very definitely come out, not easily, especially on the dash, but it is the only way you can replace the wood graining on those pieces of metal, I have some pictures somewhere of a '39 dash and interior, if I can access your e-mail from this post, I will send them to you, OC

• 2 weeks later...

This just in from my friend with a '39 sedan, hope it helps, OC

You asked me the other day about how the window frames were secured. Well, I had a window fall out inside a back door ( don't ask me how) and I had to pull the door panel and window molding. I had forgotten how it went. Guess I should start a notebook on the car noting part numbers, things done to it and when, etc.

Anyway, the bottom of the frame is not problem, hooks over a lip. There are about a half dozen clips that hold the top on, doubtless designed by an idiot. You cannot just pry the frame off...that would be too easy.

1) pry the top of the window molding out just a little ( that is all it is going to come...a little.)

2) look between the door and the molding and you will locate a few spaced clips. The central part of each clip is designed to push the molding onto the door and hold it, but not to ever come off. Cute,

3)get your screwdriver blade right on that central tang and push down until it will clear the lip of the molding, while applying a bit of pressure separating the molding from the door.

4) when you get one pulled clear, go on to the next. There are no clips along the bottom edge. It just hooks in.

I wish they'd have just used screws like normal cars...

Bill

THANK YOU,I pulled off the upper door panel,so i could see the clips,pushed on the center of the clip with a small screw driver ,gently pulled on the garnish molding and it popped right off.Dont you love it,one molding had 2 clips the other had 5.Thanks again for your time,diz tongue.giftongue.gif