Muffler Replacement 1947 LC Cabriolet

billboos

My searches came up with posts 8 or 9  years old so I am starting a new one. I need to replace my patched up muffler and would like to do it with OEM new old stock if possible  or would appreciate suggestions if after markets are superior. I'm looking for ultra quiet not a rumble as I have on some cars. Is there a source for OEM  or after market or what did you use if you replaced yours. I've heard of modifying other mufflers. Mine is round which I belief is stock. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Had a custom exhaust shop install a close match (Round and about same length) for $160. Included installation labor and two short lengths of pipe welded on to pipes to replace rusty sections on either end of muffler. Very quiet with a nice sounding low tone from tailpipe. As a bonus, I found source of "clunk" in front end while it was up on lift -- sway bar bushings. Ordered from Boos-Harrell and will get installed this week. Only remaining minor issue is  loud (to me) sound coming from engine or transmission in first and second gear -- not in third or overdrive. Had a mechanic who works on vintage cars drive it and he thought it was normal. I'm convinced car was quieter when new. I am planning on draining, flushing and replacing transmission and differential oil since I have no idea when it was last done.  Not likely old oil is affecting it but obviously a good idea to change it. I've had the car for 5 years and it was not on the list of $3000 worth of work done just before I bought it.  The car was in storage for 15 years just before that. 

Any ideas on loud engine/transmission noise in lower gears. It sounds like trucks I have driven in lower gears. I know it's not much to go on realize it is off topic from mufflers but there's not much members on this site haven't seen.

You'd need to tear down the tranny, remove and check the flywheel to inspect for wear.  Flywheels warp over time and need to be reground so they are flat and the clutch fits tightly.  Lots of moving parts in the driveline, no way to really know but to inspect and make sure everything is tight and properly lubed.  Not an easy task as the rear end has to be removed to remove the transmission, and the engine pan removed to get the flywheel off.  Ole Henry and his engineers didn't make these cars easy to work on!   Differential could also have gear issues.  I'd replace the engine mounts too and make sure the U joints are good.  You're lucky to have a mechanic in your area that knows how to work on these old cars, the young ones at dealers haven't got a clue!   They keep looking for the computer on them!