What is Dynaride?

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

It may sound crazy, but aside from just being a name for Buick suspension, what exactly does "Dynaride" mean? Is there something special done to the suspension that is not on the other comparable General Motors cars, or is it just a name that Buick gave its suspension just because the cars typically have a smooth ride? My grandparents 96 LeSabre and my 92 Park Avenue have "dynaride" emblems on the dash panels. Our old 85 Regal and my old 72 Electra mentioned nothing of it. What year did Buick start referring the name to its suspension?

Guest Teamsterdug

There will be many more people knowing much more than I about Dynaride and hopefully they can elaborate on the system. It is only suspension related. I used to have an '89 Park Ave with it. I remember being able to hear a faint electric motor briefly sound when you put anything heavy in the trunk or even just leaned on the car. It would automatically level or adjust suspension. Perhaps both. I wasn't really as inquisitive then as I am now about what makes these Buicks tick! That car was one of the nicest handling on the road that I have ever owned.

See earlier posts on this subject. Park Avenues had Automatic Level Control (the air compressor was what y'all heard running) and were not listed with DynaRide until the last redesign for the current body series, but that intial orientation could have changed if the "DynaRide" nameplate is on the instrument panel. It was listed for Regals and LeSabres initially, but not until several years after '85.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• 16 years later...

Dynaride was Buick's trade name for their rear (only) ride height system, which used air operated, inflating rear McPherson Struts (shock absorbers) . Depending upon the weight or # of passengers in the car, an under-hood, an air compressor would operate, inflating the air bags in the two rear shocks, keeping the suspension riding completely on the level. Repairs would, of course, be a lot more expensive than conventional suspension services, due to the often failed compressor and the difficulty involved with accessing the top fasteners in the Strut Mount. An alternative to replacing the air suspension could be the use of coil-over struts, as might be available from a reputable jobber. But again, this is a labor intensive replacement, for a suspension popular during the mid nineties, in General Motors larger cars.