63 Riviera ignition help

linochi0

Hi everyone,

I have been watching these forums for technical advice for at least 10 years, but finally decided to join.  I have a 1963 Riviera that I have had since I graduated high school.  I've done 99% of all the repairs/upgrades/retrofitting myself. My starter recently started sticking, so I took the opportunity to upgrade to a high torque mini starter.  I bought it from a nailhead expert on Ebay, so I have no doubt that it is the correct fit.  He did send me a pigtail with the starter to attach the starter wire and resistance wire.  This is where I am confused.  I could be wrong but from what I remember the starter only has two wires going to it, purple wire and hot from the horn relay junction.  This is also what the wiring diagram shows.  I have upgraded the distributor to the Breakerless SE ignition sytem.  I have also replaced the wiring harness from a donor car because there was a small engine fire prior to me owning it and it was spliced in multiple places.  My first question is do I need to run a jumper to connect the resistance wire from the + on the coil to the starter?  

Second question is does the 63 Riviera have a stock ballast resistor?  All the wiring diagrams I have seen don't show the ballast resistor.  The previous owner had an old Sun Tach installed with the control box.  I am wondering if the ballast resistor was installed with the Tach and control box.  Is the ballast resistor necessary if the resistance wire is present?  

Sorry for all the questions,  I would rather measure twice and cut once. I also don't want to create a short and have to find replacement harnesses.  Not only is it harder to find parts for 63-65 Rivieras, but much harder to find parts for the 63.  Thanks a bunch in advance

God Bless,

Linochi0

No resistant wires at the starter. The only place you should see a resistant wire is at the "+" terminal of the coil.

The `63 is different as compared to the later models in that the jumper wire from the starter solenoid to the coil, which brings full system voltage during starting, originates at the ignition switch in `63 and not the starter solenoid. You should have one small diameter trigger wire at the starter solenoid in addition to the positive battery cable and two wires on the "+" terminal of the coil. One of the wires on the coil will be a full system voltage bypass while cranking and the other wire will be the ignition resistant wire which is energized with "key on".

There was no external ballast resistor in the ignition system from the factory.

Having stated the above I dont know what your upgraded ignition system needs as far as voltage feed to the coil or if you still have the original `63 ignition switch?? Your upgraded ignition system could very well need full system voltage at the coil instead of stepped down voltage as in the original system.

Tom Mooney