Considering- 1988 Buick Electra Estate Wagon- engine info needed

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

I am considering a 1988 Electra Estate wagon, with all options, with the 307 Oldsmobile engine. My moms 1989 Pontiac Safari wagon has the same engine as well. The 88 Estate wagon is in EC, aside from the engine, which was overheated and now has a knock. If I was to rebuild this engine, rather than installing a older engine, does anyone know about how much it would cost to rebuild it? Or what all I can expect to replace? I was hoping someone here has had a 307 Oldsmobile rebuilt before. Thanks for any info.

Tony, in a wagon, I'd be inclined to ditch the 307 and get a Jasper, Interstate, etc remanufactured 403 long block and stick in there. It'll drop in on the same mounts and all the 307 auxiliaries, emission equipment and carb will bolt on. Olds 260-307-330-350-403 engines are the same engine family. Paint it black and nobody will be able to tell it's not a 307. I think you'd come out ahead financially and would have a warranty to boot.

I had an 81 Pontiac Safari 307 OD car, and while it was a dependable engine and got 24 mpg, hauling that 4000 lb wagon around worked it to death especially if it went thru mountains.

I have had the same wagon 1988 w/307 motor. This big wagon with the small motor can't get out of its own shadow. It was embarassing when a city bus could beat you across the intersection, from a dead stop. Best bet is to find the 403 Olds motor and install, as stated earlier. I am about to sell my wagon, has rust but interior is still excellent and is a loaded wagon even has sunroof.

Good luck

Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

Guest Shaffer

Thanks for the replies. My mom has a 89 Pontiac Safari wagon (Pontiac version of the Electra Estate), and it used to be my car. Our car has the Oldsmobile 307 as well and it is slow too. Had more power after a new TPS sensor and a converter, but it still slow on grades. Before the TPS, it was dangerously slow. About how much would a remanufactured 403 cost? Thanks.