'35 to '39 Chrysler product gearbox interchangeability

Blimey that's a long word!

Anyway. I'm currently working on a 1936 Plymouth (201, 3 speed floor change) which the owner complained about it jumping out of second. Upon dismantling the transmission I've discovered the spring loaded pin which locks the retaining collar for second gear on the mainshaft managed to jump out and go through the synchronizer making a bit of a mess of things. This allowed the gear to float on the shaft resulting in a pseudo auto disengage. To make matters worse the clowns who "rebuilt" the transmission installed the thrust washers incorrectly on the layshaft and the needle rollers have been chewing out the bronze causing 10x more endfload than specified. So it basically needs another synchronizer, second gear, bearing set, and thrust washer set. things are getting a bit pricey. Not a good time. 

I have come across a 1939 Dodge D11 transmission for sale thats supposedly in good condition but its column change. It looks like the 1936 transmission but with a column change top rather than the floor shifter. The workshop manual I've got groups the 35 - 39 transmissions together under overhauling. 

Does anyone know If the D11 transmission is the same as the 36 Plymouth? Will it bolt in?  Is that era of transmission pretty well all the same?

Cheers 

Will       

3 hours ago, Carsnz123 said:

Blimey that's a long word!

And it managed to spell itself correctly too.

The Hollander shows the '36 Ply using their gearbox numbers 113, 114. The '35-39 DU6, D5, D8. D11 Dodges used 113.

No. 113 is a T86 transmission. The case will be T86-1 without brake, 1T86-1 with brake on the back. 114 was used on 7-passenger versions of CDPDs.

So, perhaps it should bolt right in. If it doesn't, just swap the internals. Some of the parts will be different, but "complete sets of internals swap '35-39" according to The Hollander.