36 1&1/2 ton dump

Hi Scott, There is a good chance that if the 60 K is correct on your truck it may very well be the original 21 stud, 85 HP V-8 that was original in your truck, I believe but am not sure they originally came with Stromberg 97 or 48 carburetors, but were often replaced with the Holleys. The place you mentioned is where the original motor number was stamped, but many have been removed when the engine was rebuilt or exchanged, most of these engines would have quite a story to tell if they could talk. The big difference in some of the '36 engines is that some had insert main bearings, whereas others still had the poured babbitt main bearings. The inserts make them easier to rebuild, but are otherwise exactly the same as the earlier 21 studders, hope that helps, OC

Thanks OC

I didn't check the stud pattern yet. The distibutor is the early '36 style but I guess that would come off and be put on another engine too. By the way is there any body number on the cab or a number on the frame. If I can't find an engine number I want to try and find something for registration otherwise i can get DMV tag issued.

Not sure about the trucks, but the cars and pickups were stamped on the front of the frame on the passenger side right up near the front crossmember, and again on the rear frame on the drivers side. The '37-'41 distributor was used on all of the early models, and was only slightly different than the '36 distributor. Usually you only need the number on the frame, get it verified by a police officer, and it will serve for registration, just did it on a Lincoln Zephyr I am restoring, good luck, OC