67' Skylark Compatibility

Hey Folks,

I am new to the board here and I'm glad to have found it.

My Family has a 67' Skylark 2dr coupe. We are looking for a hood for it. What I'm wondering is will a hood from a 65 or 66 fit it? Or is the only that will be right, be a 67'?

2nd question: We have a middle console with shifter in it. Is the round trim piece at the end of the console (with the logo in the middle of it) where a stock tach would go? If so, how hard are these to find?

3rd question: What kind of rearend is in it (ie; ratio, posi, open dif??)? It came stock with a Buick 300 with 2 speed auto tranny. This model is Maroon with black top and black interior with sideskirts.

Thanks for any info you have on this.

Dave 67 Skylark

Guest my3buicks

Hi Dave,

The only year that wll fit for the hood in 67 is another 67. Shouldn't be be difficult to locate one.

Yes the area on your console you describe is for a tach, but they were only avaiable on GS400 consoles. They are hard to come by, I have seen them on ebay from time to time.

And rear axle ratios for 67 Super turbine in the V8 Skylark/Special(except wagons) "A" body series are 2.78 standard and 3.23 with the performance axle.

Hope this answers your questions. Glad you found the forum.

Guest John Chapman

Dave,

As to the posi or open question, the posi should have a metal tag attached to one of the differential cover bolts so stating. Given the configuration you described, I'd think it highly unlikely that it is a posi, though.

Cheers,

JMC

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it greatly.

We have a somewhat large project on our hands. The bodywork has been done, but the hood is in sad shape. We had to replace the engine, and now need to replace the tranny....it's a big long story that I don't want to bore you with.

Now that I'm thinking about it, any of you know a good source for a tranny? Its the 2 speed auto tranny offered.

thanks again for the info.

Dave 67' Skylark

Guest Skyking
smirk.gif Dave, most of us on this forum been down that same road, going through the same problems you are. That's the fun of owning old cars, never a dull moment. Try looking in your phone book for transmission rebuilders. Sometimes there may be some old timer listed that has worked on 60's cars. It may be easier to rebuild your old one. Good Luck & welcome to the board......

Dave -

Buick hasn't generally build new models every year. It just isn't cost effective. They usually change grills, rear end treatments, trim, etc. but keep the body style for a couple of years. So, 1964 - 65 Skylarks are basically the same car. 1966 - 67 Skylarks are larger, but basically the same car. 1966 is a nailhead, 1967 is the new engine (340 and 400 in GS's). 1968-69 is the same body. Then 70-71-72. To answer your question, yes 66 hoods will fit your car. There may be a difference in trim pieces, but the hood will fit. Good luck in your project.

Guest my3buicks

Bad info on saying the 66 hood will fit, as I said earlier and another on the forum has also stated, 66 is different. Totally different part #'s also.

Guest John Chapman

Dave,

With respect to the ST 300, please do a search on all the BCA sites for ST 300, Super Turbine, etc. There has been a lot of info passed on this transmission, applications and technical info. All mid-60's BOP A bodies and some B body cars used various versions.

Depending on how you're doing the car, this is a great time to consider replacing the ST 300 with a new transmission. The 200-R4 is nearly a bolt-in four speed, OD auto. When you consider the cost of overhaul on the original ST 300, the additional money for a 200-R4 may be the more cost effective alternative.

The above post about the bodies in 64/65 and 66/67 is accurate, but what wasn't said is that most of the chassis parts and many of the core body parts are interchangeable across the years for all the GM A body cars (Chevelle/Malibu; F85/Cutlass; Tempest/LeMans and Special/Skylark), so this provides a much larger parts pool.

Cheers,

JMC

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the great info. It is really appreciated.

As far as the tranny goes, I am always looking for something better. I was thinking of keeping the car original, but since we had to replace the engine, keeping it original is not an option now. We replaced it with a 350 from a 68-72 Skylark. It fits just fine.

About how much are the 200-R4 trannies? Would I need to change the drive line, linkage or shifter for this swap?

Any further info you have on it would be great. I will do a search for info on this.

Thanks again guys.

Dave 67' Skylark

Guest John Chapman

The 350 is a nice upgrade. I'm tempted myself...

The 200R4 will fit without driveline mods and bolts to the 350.

The only mods needed will be to move the transmission cross member back or purchase one of the prefab ones for this purpose that uses original mounting. Stock shift mechanism works. You'll need to install a shift control cable too. Again, easy and plenty of 'done it' help out there.

Cost would depend on what you do to the trans. I don't know what a core costs, but you can get the 200R4 nicely prepared for about $1000-1200, again depending on build.

Hot Rod magazine did a feature on swapping this trans into -- are you ready?.... a '67 Skylark about 18 months ago. I'll dig around and see if I can find the scans of it.

... and as long as you're in the area, you might as well put front disc brakes on the car, too....

Cheers,

John

if you are still reading this string, i might have some thing to add for you. in my meandering of our local junk yards i have noticed that the '67's have three different hood designs. one is like the one on my special with a split ridge that runs down the center of the hood, one has the ridge with a chrome strip and i think is found mostly on station wagons. and then there is the one on skylarks and GS's that is flat[except for the hood scoops on such equiped cars]. and each of these hoods has a different grill that goes with it. one is chromed metal, one is plastic with a red band acrossed it, and i believe there is another but can't remember what it is made of. be sure to get the one that belongs with your car. as for the tranny, i would say stay with the two-speed if you can, but parts and availability might make this a difficult prospect. not to mention finding someone proficient in working on it vs. the more common TH-350/400/200. in the end go with the practical solution, it will make you happier

Guest my3buicks

Let's get the hood issue finished real quick and sweet. All 67 "A" body Buicks use the SAME hood, Group 8.000 Part # 1379089, PERIOD ! ! ! The Chrome Center Hood Molding and the Hood Scoops are added onto the base hood. As far as grills there are TWO, the metal grill for Skylark/Sportwagon the plastic grill for Special GS.

Greetings,

I have a '64 ST 300 I took out of our 64 Skylark. It was working fine when I took it out. You can have it if you want to come and get it or pay for crating and shipping from Keller, TX. I would love to see it used. E-mail me if interested at eltzroth@swbell.net.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!!! Really?

That is too cool. I will happily take it off of your hands. I have no problem paying for shipping on it. I am sending you an email today.

For all the other responses, any info is greatly appreciated. I am starting out on this with not a whole lot of knowledge on compatibility. you guys are great and I'm glad to have found this site.

I am up in arms right now on the route that I want to go with the car. My main goal is to get it put back together. I have to get it painted (body work is all done) and driving. I want to put some air bags (suspension kind) on it, paint it silver and throw on some nice chrome 18" wheels. Later down the line I will probably add some performance goodies...but the main goal is to get it going before my grandpa (who is 90 this march and previous owner of the car) passes away.

Anyhow, thanks again guys!

Dave 67' Skylark