1929 Chevrolet Valve Lash

194--- in-line 6 engine. I need to set up the rack. I know the proper lash for both the intake and exhaust WHEN NOT ------But I wish to set them COLD.  I have read a couple suggestions.  (1) add .002 to both.  (2) add .005 to both. My rockers need a starting point in order to start the engine--- they are totally OFF and I  would appreciate any advice.

I would like to know from someone I can trust as to what settings would work best---and not do damage to my engine. 

THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS IN ADVANCE.

Pitman

Sorry that you are not getting any other advice.  I would  think .002 or .003 over the hot setting would get the engine running.  It would not do any harm and being noisey woouldn't matter until you could get everything sorted out.

Good luck with your engine.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

As stated above, when I adjust the valves on my 1933 Chevrolet Master I add .002 to .003 and adjust them cold and then tweak them in after the engine is hot.  In fact I do the final adjustment with the engine running at slow idle.  That is the way I was taught by an old Chevy guy who owned a 1931 back in the late 60s and that is how I still do it.  The feeler gauge is good for adjusting the valves about two times, LOL.

• 1 month later...

I just ran across my original posting and noticed I forgot to mention how I adjust the valves with the engine running.

1.  Set the valve with .002 to .003 extra clearance with the engine cold.

2.  Remove the windshield wiper vacuum hose from the manifold fitting and connect a vacuum gauge.

3.  Select the feeler gauge with the correct clearance and one other feeler that is .001 or .0015.  You will partially overlap the one thousandths feeler over the correct sized one.

4.  Start the engine and let it warm up to operating temperature.  The vacuum gauge should be rather steady at this point.

5.  At slow idle, loosen a valve adjusting nut while at the same time you are holding the adjuster with a screw driver that is moving up and down as and the valve opens and shuts.  I normally start at the back and work my way to the front.

6.  Insert the proper size feeler gauge under the rocker arm, then slide it over to include the overlapped .001 or .0015 feeler while watching for a fluctuation in the vacuum gauge.

7.  When the valve is adjusted properly the gauge will be steady with only the proper sized gauge and bounce around with the addition of the thin feeler gauge.

8.  Tighten the nut while holding the adjuster in place with the screw driver, then re-check with the feelers to see if it is still adjusted properly.

9.  Continue this process until all valves are adjusted.

10.  Remove the vacuum gauge and reconnect the wiper hose.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)