Removing glued on reflector from taillamp lens

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

When I got my Park Avenue, the previous owner for some reason superglued small reflectors on the taillight lenses. I am afraid if I pry on them, it will bust the lens. Perhaps if I put some WD-40 or some "OOPS" glue/adhesive remover behind them before I pry on it? Any suggestions appreciated.

Acetone is the only solvent I know of that will dissolve super glue. Acetone will also attack plastics crazy.gif , leaving a bigger mess than what you have tongue.gif .

Now if you're lucky, the reflectors are those stick-on things you can buy at WalMart and can be persuaded off with a heat gun or some mineral spirits.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks. Someone on the Pontiac site said the same thing. They said the acetone can actually melt plastic. They are not all that bad, but look a little odd. I am sure replacement lenses would cost a fortune. I may try to easily pry on them a little to see how well they are attached. I do not know why anyone would put these on there. confused.gif

You can try heat, goo gone, or other remedies just in case it isn't superglue. If it is definitely superglue you can talk to the nearest hobby store and ask them what they would use. Superglue is often used in building models and they might have something that attacks the glue and not the plastic.

As a final resort, Superglue is very strong but brittle. You won't be able to pry off the reflectors, but you might be able to knock them off. Freeze the lense and try putting a screw driver against the side of the reflector and giving it a good smack. You are trying to get the reflector to slide across the face of the lense. This is superglues weakest direction and the lenses strongest.

Tony, just be VERY careful. If you bust the lens, the only real way to replace it is by replacing the entire rear tail light assembly from left to right because from what I've gathered, its one giant piece, and I don't think you want to do that.

Guest Shaffer

I have thought of that- about maybe holes under them, but I am thinking the odds are low, as the reflectors are on the exact space on both lenses. Anything is possible however.

Guest Shaffer

Thanks. I am not sure. It looks like the taillights are seperate, as the tag is between the lenses. Still, even if I break one, it will not be cheap. One has cracked anyway on the far left side on the left lens. I may try to remove from that one first, that way if I break it, I will only be breaking one worse. crazy.gif

Its been a little while since I looked into it, but my grandmother's has had a smashed up lens for almost 2 years now. When it first happened, I did a little research in figuring out how to fix it, including going to the dealer parts counter. From what I could gather, the lenses by themselves can not be purchased. I'm 90%-95% sure that its one integral unit. I recall seing one once on ebay, and it must have been going for severa hundred dollars I think. This is why my grandmother still has not fixed it yet, too costly mad.gif . Not like on the old 225s, where you could just pop out the tailight and undo a few screws.

There may only be one broken lens and they put on extra reflectors to match it all up!

If you get a piece of wire (like used for cutting out a windshield) you might use one strand of wire and work it along the reflector and lens and "saw" through the glue.

Henry

Guest Shaffer

I am not sure. May can find some cheap if something happens I crack them. However, the cheapest lens my grandfather could find for my grandmothers 1990 Mazda 929 sedan was $75 at a salvage yard. The lens was $350 from the dealer. Someone at work paid $80 for a used lens for a 94 Cavalier. crazy.gif Hopefully I can remove them without damaging. Thanks again.

Guest Shaffer

You was right 66400. The passenger side lens was busted. It has a hole about the size of a half dollar. My dad removed the lens' today. Took a chance on breaking them and just gently pryed off with a pocket knife. I thought it was held on with silicone, but my dad said it was held on with super glue, but it had turned into almost like a silicone substance, unless this is how it sets. The left one removed fairly easy. He just pryed on it and it came off a little at a time. No breaks under it. He said he may can cut a square shape hole in it, then cut the reflector in a square shape to fit there. He said it would be better than the hole and I do not want to buy a new lens. Still it looks better with these goofy looking lens' on there. I guess I could even consider putting the red tape over the hole. Thanks again to all for the info.