Low milage car in storage, Help....

surfkurf

Hello all,

Not a question about my Buick this time, but I know you guys can help.

Grandma is sick and her 79 Malibu has been in the Garage for over 2 years without use. The car has only 30,000 miles on it and is mint condition so I don't want to just crank it over without checking first.

What about fuel?

What about Oil?

Should I do anything special besides replace the battery?

When I get it back on the road, how can I find out how much it is worth so we can use the money to help her?

Thanks for the help as always!

Joe

Fuel is undoubtedly NG unless someone put stablizer in the tank. Even then, i think the shelf life is one year. Removee the plugs and squirt a couple shots of oil in each cylinder. Leave plugs out and hook up a battery and spin the engine. Step 2, fuel it up. You might have a problem on your hands here ie a tankful of no good gas. Spray some starter fluid down the carb and see if she kicks over.If it dies when the curent gas reaches the carb, you'll have to get rid of the old gas. I'd take a couple quarts at a time and add it to my daily driver, till I can get mostly new gas in there.. Might take a little time. As far as the value...well, I'm no Chevy expert, but if it's N I C E (very nice w/ A/C and a 2 door)and someone offered you 2K I would be tickled.Good luck

Please be sure to check the brake hoses, brake fluid level, and wheel bearings(being able to stop is critical). Also radiator and radiator hoses. It will make a big difference for value whether you have the V8, V6, or L4 (the V8 will make it worth more, and easier to sell). NADAguides.com lists V8 values for 2 or 4 door at $2250, and the wagon at $2000 (without adding for low miles).