Electric Fuel Pump

Hi guys, it's the dumb blonde again.

We know there is an electric fuel pump on this car that turns on with a switch. My question is: Do you leave this switch turned on all the time or just to start it? We filled the tank up Saturday and have driven about 40 miles and have 1/4 tank left. We didn't expect GREAT gas mileage, but at this rate, we'll have to fill it up about every 60 miles. The car won't go OVER 40 MPH and was supposed to have been tuned up before we got it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Carol

Carol,an electric pump is not needed if everything is working on your fuel system.An electric pump if left on all the time and not regulated will pump fuel through the carb. and fill the oil pan.Check your oil!!My advise is to eliminate the electric pump.If you leave the electric pump connected i dont know if the original pump is strong enough to pull fuel through it if it is not running.Just my 2-cents,Iam trying to be afriend to your bearings.Diz blush.gif

Thanks - We checked the manual that came with the car - no mention of an electric fuel pump. Someone apparently has added it. There's a switch under the dash. We'll get this thing figured out, but it sure is enough to make you pull your hair out.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Carol, jumping in again, I am trying to identify with being just introduced to a '38 Zephyr, with no previous experience!!! And that is overwhelming, the color of your hair, even if purple, will do little to prepare you for this wondrous adventure. You must first discover if your car has a working original mechanical fuel pump, no LZ's came with an electric originally, but owners added them when the originals were inadequate, or vapor-locked, so it probally should not be turned on except in an emergency, if the car will start and run without turning the switch under the dash for the electric fuel pump, leave the EFP off, refill your fuel tank, go for a nice drive, and recheck your mileage, the electric hopefully is only a back up in the event of a problem, and is really not needed except in an emergency. The 40 MPH is much more concerning, any Zephyr V-12 is capable of pulling the car along just fine up to about 70 MPH, even if it is throwing a smokescreen out the exhaust, and shows zilch on the oil pressure guage, so I suspect something is amiss in your distributor, I gather you have joined the LZOC, and are receiving The Way of The Zephyr, if so, check the ads for the one by Jake Fleming in Dallas, and make arramgements for your coil and distributor to be checked out by him, once that is done, we can then re-conoiter, and see what needs to be done next, your Zephyr should get at least 10 MPG, and be capable of speeds up to 65 MPH. If you are not sure where the original fuel pump is located, send your e-mail in the next message here, and I will send you a picture of one, and where it is located, OK?? Also, if your oil guage on the intake manifold is over full, as the other fellow suggested, change your oil and filter before driving another mile!! OC